Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing MacBook batteries

I need a little help in changing MacBook batteries.

Me and my family bought 2 MacBooks (standard MacBooks, not Pro or Air) in October of 2008. From what I understand they're same model but one is white and the other is black and has a hard disk with several more GBs. Later on, I ended being the only one using the white one while the black one didn't really get used by anyone excluding a few times now and then. Needless to say the black one has a battery which lasts way longer compared to the white one – mine – whose battery dies pretty quickly after almost 4 years now of very frequent use.

I would like to know a) if I can switch batteries and b) if I can, could you possibly give me insight on the proper/safe way to do that.

By the summer of 2013 I intend to have already bought a new MacBook so I guess I just need to spend the time until then using the most of my MacBook and not have to charge like 2-3 times a day.

Thank you for the help.

P.S.: For any information on model types, hardware/software characteristics or other System Profiler info you may need to know just ask me.

MacBook

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 5:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 7:29 AM

The only difference in the white and black batteries is their color. While it may look odd, the batteries are interchangeable. Refer to this Apple article or this pdf document for instructions on removing and replacing the battery.

Best of luck.

5 replies

Oct 18, 2012 8:09 AM in response to itsjamesd

If you have a MacBook with the removable battery you can get a new third party battery fairly cheap on eBay. Every MacBook from 2006 through Mid 2009 except the Late 2008 Aluminum Unibody and the Late 2009 and 2010 White Unibodies use the same A1185 battery.

Black Batteries http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=macbook+black+battery&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_sop=12 &_dmpt=Laptop_Batteries&_odkw=macbook+white+battery&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0. m 270.l1313

White Batteries http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=macbook+white+battery&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_sop=12 &_dmpt=Laptop_Batteries&_odkw=macbook+black+battery&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0. m 270.l1313

Or for $129 from The Apple Store http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA566LL/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

Removing the battery:

1. Shut down the computer. Disconnect any cords connected to the computer.
  2. Turn the computer over.
  3. Locate the battery latch on one side of the battery.
  4. Use a coin to turn the latch a quarter-turn clockwise. The battery should pop up slightly.
  5. Lift the battery out.

User uploaded file

Installing the battery:

1. Place the right side of the battery into the battery compartment at an angle, as shown below.
  2. Gently press the left side of the battery down until it sits flat.
    User uploaded file
  3. While holding the battery down, use a coin to turn the latch a quarter-turn counter-clockwise. The battery should lock into place.

Note: Keep in mind that once the new battery is inserted, you will need to press the power button to start up the computer.

Changing MacBook batteries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.