Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac G5 1.8ghz will no longer start

Hey, My iMac G5 1.8Ghz with 20 inch screen no longer start up. This all started when my UPS got an issue and ended up shutting down the four piece of equipment that was plugged in on it. My iMac was part of these 4... All equipment including NAS, printer and speakers started back up fine but the mac's power button did nada after the issue.

The UPS was sent to the vendor for claim submission and because they have a warranty for exactly that. obviously, they can found no apparent issue with the UPS. They say it was probably chance that my iMac blew up at the same time... They can say what ever they want, needless to say i'm not too happy.... TrippLite by the way.

Anyway, back to my iMac.

Initially thought that it might be the power supply, the iMac IS from 2005...

opened up the back, checked that the light #1 was lit (there is 1-4) which means that the board is getting power.

I then proceeded to press the internal power button but that did nothing.

Then, also following Apple's recommended procedure, pressed on the SMU reset button just below the internal power button, still nothing.

Apple says that if after that, you press on the power button again, light number 2 does not light up at all, that the board probably needs to be changed. (if it flashes, the power supply isn't providing the ok amount of power...)

Does anybody have an opinion as to what could be done? does anybody think it could be something else?

I'd hate spending money on an old computer, but it's so pretty... lol

A new mother board probably costs more than the value of the computer itself.

thanks in advance for your help.

Benoit

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5), G5 1.8ghz 20 inch

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 8:59 AM

5 replies

Oct 18, 2012 9:08 AM in response to wasteland ben

wasteland ben wrote:

Apple says that if after that, you press on the power button again, light number 2 does not light up at all, that the board probably needs to be changed. (if it flashes, the power supply isn't providing the ok amount of power...)

So after you pressed the SMU reset button, and you pressed the power button again did light number 2 light up, not light up, or flash?

Oct 18, 2012 10:46 AM in response to wasteland ben

If you have you're original, came the computer install disks, you can try and start from the first Install disc and run the Apple Hardware Test.

But since the light number two never lit up, I imagine that actually you will need to replace the logicboard. Or more than likely, buy a new iMac.

I'm in a situation similar to you. I'm looking at having to replace my iMac G5. You can read my discussion thread here if you'd like:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4433080?tstart=30

I put my original install discs away (someplace, and now I can't find them) when I upgraded to Leopard. I just ordered a new Install disc with the Apple Hardware Test on it today,

Good Luck.

Oct 19, 2012 1:20 PM in response to Rambling Joe

hopefully you get your issue resolved soon! a coleague asked me if I saw some blown up capacitors or things like that. I did check once I got home and realised that I had popped capacitors. Some of them had blown and leaked...

did the ups over charge the computer/power supply, could it have been the power supply creating this whole mess... who knows.

mother boards for this computer must be rare to get a hold of, probably not worth it... maybe i'll check about replacing the capacitors...

Imac G5 1.8ghz will no longer start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.