Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Log & Transfer or Log & Capture?

At College we're using Final Cut Pro 7, I've never used it before, I've only used Final Cut Express 4.

They're very similar, so there's little more to learn (I used FCE4 for a while, until I moved to Premiere Pro; I understand Final Cut decently well), but FCE4 didn't have the Log & Capture option of FCP7, so I was using Log & Transfer.

About 2 weeks ago we set up a folder for ourselves on the computers, there's only one MiniDV tape per group, so only one person was able to import the video. Our technician told us how to set it up, but told us to use Log & Capture. I'm not sure if the person importing it pressed a button by accident, but it ended up in 1 file. I want to know if Log & Transfer will seperate each take, or if there's a button to seperate each take using Log & Capture...there's no way the College is going to get me to edit with a single file!

I will ask my teacher about this next time, but for now I'd like to know why it was just one file and if Log & Transfer will seperate them. I don't have FCP7 with me (Nor FCE4 either) so I can't test it. I'll probably be doing it tomorrow.

Final Cut Express 4-OTHER

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 10:15 AM

6 replies

Oct 18, 2012 10:39 AM in response to Siderz

Log and Capture is the tool to capture from TAPE.

Log and Transfer is the tool to capture from TAPELESS MEDIA, like P2, Compact Flash, SD cards.

Unless you log the tape first...break up the tape into chunks. This is something Final Cut Express didn't do. Final Cut Pro allows you to watch the tape, make in and out marks, make clips that you capture later. So you only capture what you want, and you can break the tape up by scene and take, or by subject matter. So you can log all the clips first, then Batch Capture. Look this up in the manual, it's all laid out.

Now, why won't the college let you edit with a single file? That makes no sense. YOu can also make SUBCLIPS of that single file. Mark IN and OUT on the file, then Make Subclip (CMD-U). name those what you want. they will be individual clips, but they all point to the single file.

Oct 18, 2012 10:52 AM in response to Shane Ross

I'm pretty sure that with Premiere Pro, it makes the in and out points automatically.

I'm not sure if I've imported tape to FCE4 before, my camera uses a Memory Stick Pro Duo. I've definitely imported tape to Premiere Pro though.

And, subclips, I knew about those, I had simply forgotten about it. I think I'd rather have seperate files though.

So, basically, I just need to select the in and out points when capturing it?

Oct 18, 2012 10:54 AM in response to Siderz

NLEs are different. They do things differently. Because one does something doesn't mean that another will.

You log the clips BEFORE you capture. Mark in and outpoints, log the clip...it makes a clip with a red strikethrough on it. Then when you are done, highlight the clips and hit BATCH CAPTURE.

Now...if there are timecode breaks (camera turned off) in the middle of a clip, that clip won't capture. You'll have to log around that break. But it sounds like the tape doesn't have any, so you should be fine.

Oct 18, 2012 10:59 AM in response to Shane Ross

Shane Ross wrote:

Now...if there are timecode breaks (camera turned off) in the middle of a clip, that clip won't capture. You'll have to log around that break. But it sounds like the tape doesn't have any, so you should be fine.

I thought timecode breaks don't occur unless you remove the tape/battery, not turning the camera off?

I turned the camera off several times to conserve the battery.

Tomorrow, however, when we shoot the final bits, we'll be using a different camera.

Oct 18, 2012 11:01 AM in response to Siderz

Typically it happens when you review footage and stop AFTER the footage ends. Typically it doesn't happen, even if you remove the battery...on most cameras. Some cameras did cause a break at that time. Most often not.

Recording in FREE RUN timecode...that'll really cause issues. I hate when camera ops do that. Unless they have LONG takes, and are using it to keep multiple cameras in sync. But short takes...ugh. I want to strangle them.

Log & Transfer or Log & Capture?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.