Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

XF100/XF105 50Mbps FCP

Hi

I just shot some footage on my Canon XF105 at 1080p24 50Mbps 422. I downloaded the XF Canon plugin and I can now transcode the footage into ProRes 422(HQ). However, the data rate is arounf 20MB/sec in FCP. When I use Pavtube and do ProRes4444, I get the same data rate. However, when i trancose RED EPIC footage to ProRes4444, I get a data rate of %0MB/sec.

How am I able to edit in 50Mbps?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 10:38 AM

6 replies

Oct 18, 2012 10:52 AM in response to nshepard

If you want to edit it natively, then you need to use a different editing app. Avid edits this natively, I'm using that now. Simply consolidate the media and there you go. Or Adobe Premiere Pro...that edits it even without the need to consolidate.

You are looking at this wrong. You are obsessing with the numbers and thinking that you are losing quality. The format is a SHOOTING format...that's the data rate for that shooting format. When you edit, you convert to an EDITING format. The data rate will change in most cases. It just so happens that the format you shot is editable natively by a few NLEs. Most cameras formats are not. They need to be converted.

Don't get bogged down by the numbers. ProRes HQ is a lossless codec. And it's a 10-bit codec, where your shooting format is 8-bit.

Oct 18, 2012 10:57 AM in response to nshepard

You are fine with ProRes HQ.

Well...FCP and Premiere tackle things very differently. FCP wants you to convert the footage for editing...Premiere does not. Premiere will edit natively, and only encode when you are done. But, to edit natively, you need a bit of resources, like a fast processor, gobs of RAM, a good graphics card to enable the Mercury Engine...to make editng smooth. FCP makes editing smooth by converting the footage to an editing codec.

XF100/XF105 50Mbps FCP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.