6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2012 3:45 PM by maravilloso
maravilloso Level 1 Level 1

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.. My operating system is  OS X 10.6.8.

• Klaus1 Level 8 Level 8

Not on a PPC G4 it isn't!

Snow Leopard can only run on an Intel Mac.

Please confirm what Mac you and what version of OS X.

• maravilloso Level 1 Level 1

Model Name:          MacBook Pro

Model Identifier:          MacBookPro4,1

Processor Name:          Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed:          2.5 GHz

Number Of Processors:          1

Total Number Of Cores:          2

L2 Cache:          6 MB

Memory:          4 GB

Bus Speed:          800 MHz

Boot ROM Version:          MBP41.00C1.B03

SMC Version (system):          1.28f3

Serial Number (system):          W88114P4YP3

Hardware UUID:          5773D60A-90A8-550D-850F-F90248A22424

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State:          Enabled

Mac OS X version 10.6.8

Hope this clarifies things. It works well for about an hour or so and then freezes up. Once it was like a screen coming down with a ticking sound. Scary! Thanks for your help.

• Courcoul Level 6 Level 6

Unless you installed some nasty piece of new software recently, and coupled with the ticking sound, I get this queasy gut feeling that your drive is circling the drain.

Besides immediately backing it up, just in case, open Disk Utility, select the DEVICE (not the Macintosh HD volume) and check the S.M.A.R.T status on the thing. Anything different from "verified" is cause for concern, and should cause you to jump off your butt and go about procuring a drive replacement PRONTO. As in yesterday.

Thanks for the info. I did check my device and the S.M.A.R.T. is verified. I also have three auxiliary harddrives attached for backup and storage, and none of these are S.M.A.R.T. supported. What next?

Gracias, amigo.

• Courcoul Level 6 Level 6

As you mention having other drives attached to the ailing Mac, does it freeze with them? Have you tried disconnecting everything to see if that helps?

Good suggestion. I had been using one of the auxiliary harddrives to view material and the screen usually froze up after a while. I'm not using it now and will see what happens. I'll let you know. De nuevo, gracias from Tampa, FL.