Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best Settings to Rip a DVD for Editing

Hey guys,

I have a DVD that includes footage that I wish to edit in FCP.

I've tried converting the VOB file with compressor, QT, Handbreak and multiple other programs, but the footage comes out CHOPPY.

So what are the best SETTINGS that I could use with whatever program to convert the vob file to a QT file? A file that looks good and I could also edit.

Thanks in advance,

😉

Final Cut Studio '09

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 12:56 PM

Get a copy of MPEG Streamclip (free) and then read my tutorial here: http://www.secondchairvideo.com/?p=739

7 replies

Oct 24, 2012 7:40 AM in response to unknownmaster

Uncompressed 8 bit will be higher quality and a larger file. How much better it will look than PR422 is neglible if at all noticable.

You can set an in and out point in Mpeg Streamclip. Select a small problem area and do some tests.

Try playing with field dominance and deinterlacing. Since you are taking this into a upper field or progressive HD sequence you will probably want to try deinterlacing for best integreation.

There is no point in exporting a different size than 720x480 as that is what the size of the source video is.

If the video is 16x9 but is coming out 4x3 you can change this in quicktime via command+J after you fix the interlacing issue. 853x480 are the dimensions for 16x9 SD.

Final Cut's columns will tell you if it is recognizing your tests 16x9(anamorphic is checked) and whether the interlacing is upper, lower, or none(progressive).

Best Settings to Rip a DVD for Editing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.