You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to record from mini disc player into garage band if possible

I have some audio recorded material on a minidisc player/recorder which i would like to put into the computer to work on-can i put it into garage band 2 ? and if not is thier a free or not free software/programme i can download in order to record in quality what i have on the minidisc recorder.Also can you suggest any programmes/software (like cubase)which i could use to work on the sounds i have put onto the apple mac.

power mac G4, Mac OS X (10.4)

Posted on Apr 14, 2006 12:50 PM

10 replies

Apr 14, 2006 12:55 PM in response to ackart

Get a male to male 1/8" cord and plug your headphone jack in to the line in on your computer. I do this all the time...

You can put the resulting audio in GB, but GB is pretty limited in what it's capable of doing as far as audio editting. I would suggest checking out Logic Express's free 30 day demo.

xs4is

Apr 14, 2006 1:23 PM in response to ackart

Can you sync the MiniDisk player up to your computer and move the audio over?
If you can actually transfer the sound files off of the MiniDisk instead of just using the headphone out, you'd retain a higher audio quality.
Odds are, provided the audio isn't in some weird proprietary Sony format, (I have no personal experience with MiniDisk,) then you should just be able to drag the audio into iTunes.

Apr 14, 2006 2:31 PM in response to HangTime

well the kind of editing would be applying various effects to the found street and cafe sounds i have collected-i did something similar at art college-well someone else helped me-but i think they used a mac but can not remember what studio type package they used to add effects and loop sounds etc .But they did a great job.

Apr 14, 2006 2:52 PM in response to Stevious G

Again, mine doesn't have a USB port, so the only way to get sound on the disk is to record it through it's line in (optical or 1/8" trs). My mini disk player is old.

I think the new ones do have a mp3 import function (and a USB port or something similar)...don't know how it works though...I think that it just records them through it's line in though...

A mini disk is like a very small cd-r that is constantly record enabled (unless you switch the tab), like a tape casette. There is an algorythm that allows the minidisk to hold as much info as it does...that's where my confusion comes in about how it imports/exports.

X

Apr 15, 2006 10:12 AM in response to HangTime

but how do you get garage band (i have version two) to record from the mini disc player(I've got the lead to connect to the back of the apple mac-the input place) but what do you have to do with GB for you to record the sound in GB ? I've tried but cab not see how you do it ? But i will check out logic express as well-thanks
ack

how to record from mini disc player into garage band if possible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.