Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5, lightning adapter, Life Fitness treadmills

Hi, has anyone tried the iPhone 5 with the lightning adapter in the life fitness treadmills that have iPod 30pin connectors. I tried myself and it didn't work, it recognizes the iPhone which charges and says accessory connected in the iPhone screen but apparently an image with controls of my music library are supposed to appear in the treadmill. Is this an "iPod out" functionality or is it because video is not supported or there is something I am missing (first time I try to connect iPhone/iPod to these machines).

I was wondering if somebody else has tried.

Thanks

ps: I have sent an email o Life Fitness with this issue as they said before that audio should work and I am awaiting their answer.

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 12:17 PM

4 replies

Sep 5, 2017 12:47 PM in response to gonpin

I believe that, with the lightning connector, apple did away with actual video output. Apple does sell a lightning to HDMI dongle which might make you think that video output must be somewhere in that lightning connector. Unfortunately, if I recall correctly, a teardown of Apple's lightning-to-HDMI connector revealed that it actually contains a chip capable of receiving Airplay from the device and turning it into HDMI. That's one of the reasons it's so expensive. So with the phasing out of 30-pin and the phasing in of lightning, we went from true uncompressed component video output to compressed h.264 video being sent via Airplay to a chip which turns it back into regular video again to send out the hdmi port. This renders the 30-pin connector on your gym's exercise equipment completely useless for ever being able to display video from your lightning-equipped apple device. Manufacturers of gym equipment should either have an hdmi port or support Airplay. .....Both would be nice.

Mar 28, 2013 6:32 PM in response to gonpin

I just bought an Ipod nano 7th generation and the lightning to 30 pin adapter and can get the music player to work just fine on Life Fitness equipment at my gym. What I can not get the equpment to do though is recognize it as having video playback capabilities. My Iphone 4s works great to play video on the equpment, but not the new Ipod with an adapter.

iPhone 5, lightning adapter, Life Fitness treadmills

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.