Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

importing Sony MXF files into iMovie

Is there a good way to import Sony MXF files into iMovie 11 at full HD resolution (or close to it)? I've loaded them onto my MacBook Pro (running Mountain Lion) and viewed them with the XDCAM EX Clip Browser. They are Mpeg 4 files but iMovie 11 (version 9.0.8) won't import them. In the import dialog box the files are grayed out. All I can do is convert the files to RAW DV with the XDCAM Clip Browser. I'd rather not edit in a low resolution like RAW DV if possible. Any suggestions. Thanks.

iMovie '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 4:28 PM

6 replies

Mar 21, 2013 11:03 PM in response to callisto224

Yes, Brorsoft MXF converter for Mac can keep the original video quality after the conversion. I have use it for a long time and I haven't met any trouble with it. It fastly converts MXF to comfortable video format for FCP, FCE, iMovie, Adobe PPro, Avid MC, ect, as I want. The included profile allows you set the best video and audio settings for playing and editing on your Mac.

You can click here to free download and have a try, you will find it is easy to use. Thanks for sharing.

Jun 10, 2015 2:31 AM in response to callisto224

As .mxf format is efficient, but simply isn't engineered to maintain quality during complex post production effects processing. Before convert MXF to iMovie, you'd better find out iMovie friendly format. The following article is for your information: http://digisns.com/2015/02/imovie-fce-supported-video-formats/. Besides, you can take the following guide as a reference to check out a best solution about MXF to iMovie import issues: http://cameraworld.skyrock.com/3252807048-Edit-Ikegami-MXF-Files-in-iMovie-FCE.h tml

importing Sony MXF files into iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.