Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the Macbook Unibody 6,1 have battery problems? A1342

Hello,

I just purchased a Macbook Unibody Polycarbonate model 6,1 Late 2009 off of eBay and i've been reading up on Apple laptops that have been exploding and the batteries are buldging and catching on fire and i understand Apple has recall programs (this Macbook has one for the bottom case bubbling and peeling off), have there been recalls for this Macbook? Also while we're at it, how does the bottom case recall work (if it were to happen to me)?

Thanks, Adrian

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Unibody Polycarbonate 6,1 Late 2009

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 4:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 7:01 PM

Bottom case replacement program. Their is no recall on the batteries, which to expand due to age.

2 replies

Oct 31, 2012 11:42 AM in response to Danz207

I have the same model. I can't say I've had any problems with the battery (nor do I feel I need to worry), but I did have the bulging case issue. The bottom portion is actually metal with a rubbery coating. If you run your MB all the time (like I do), it, like any other laptop will get warm or even hot if you run the resources like crazy. When the metal heats up it can cause the rubber to swell and delaminate.

The good news is that Apple is aware of it, and if you follow the link (above), you can get a replacement bottom case. I just gave my information online and they sent it without cost to me. They don't care if its under warranty anymore or not. They just want the serial number and your info.

I hope that helps.

Does the Macbook Unibody 6,1 have battery problems? A1342

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.