Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad image burn in

iPad at 1 1/2 years, diminished enjoyment and privacy concerns.

I brought my iPad2 to an apple store and showed them just how bad my screen retention problem was. You can easily read the last url off the background when safari is closed.

They, i spoke to the manager too, told me screen burn in is normal. Really? After 18 months i'm expected to pay $250 for a refurbished replacement. I don't think so.

Anyone having this problem?

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 7:56 PM

19 replies

Oct 19, 2012 8:39 AM in response to SergZak

No, it's not permanent. It goes away after a few minutes. Maybe I should have called it screen retention instead.

The problem starter before the warranty expired, but it wasn't that bad. Maybe I should have acted sooner, but at that point I would have been accused of being ocd.

If anyone has even the slightess bit of screen retention and you are within warranty, run to apple now! Don't get stuck with this. You paid a premium for the best tablet. Don't settle for less.

Oct 21, 2012 8:02 AM in response to Groovecontrol

Hi, my 1 year old ipad 2 had image retention (burn in) problem since 3 months after purchase..I was too lazy to go to apple store to order for replacement, because the process took long time (usually 1 month) in my country.

I think i m getting used to it...just use the bright colored wallpaper. The image retention seems very visible in the dark blue or gray wallpaper..

i used also some of videos from youtube that fix image retention problem...at least it works on my ipad 2..

Oct 21, 2012 8:43 AM in response to Groovecontrol

Yes it happens on my ipad 2 as well, although it's probably not as bad and it's particularly obvious on the left and right sides of the screen.

I bought it in June as a refurbished unit, maybe that's why the previous owner had taken it back. 🙂

But no, really, I suspect this issue is more spread out than one would think. Some units might be worse than others, and surely it depends on how you use it (brightness setting, display of high contrast images, etc.), but I've seen many reports of this.

Jan 11, 2013 10:06 PM in response to Groovecontrol

So i went to the Apple store in Syracuse, NY today and they replaced the ipad right away. The guy looked at it for about 30 seconds and said "let me get you a new one". Great customer service even though the first guy i talked to and told i may have been running a little late was a bit prickish. It looked like i was next on the genious's list anyway. Second time I have been to an Apple store and both times i have walked out with new replacements. The first time was an iphone 3gs that had water damage, but they still gave me a new one. Overall very happy with Apple and their warrenties. Now i just wonder is this iPad only good for whatever was left on my original ipad's warrenty or do i get a year from today of warrenty?

Ipad image burn in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.