Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prevent users from running apps on their USB devices

Hi,

Is there a way to prevent students launching apps from their USB devices?

I am Running Mountain Lion and Workgroup Manager. All clients are ML.

Cheers,

Mac mini (Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 3:08 AM

6 replies

Oct 19, 2012 3:49 AM in response to sig

well, simply put, students are bringing in apps from their own mac on a USB stick and launching the app from their mounted device. I have simulated this by dragging disk utility from the utility folder to my USB stick. I then log in as a student account and can launch it and use it.

I have locked down system prefs and the utility folder using WGM but as always students find a way around these things.

If you need more info let me know.

Oct 19, 2012 4:33 AM in response to M@CMAN2011

resolved the issue but'll it mean a bit of work. I have decided to enable "always use these applications" in WGM - this basically means no application will work unless it is in my list of approved apps. In my experiments I have found that there are "helper" apps for the main applications which need tracked down as well otherwise you will recieve errors when launching. For example, simply enabling Photoshop does not allow the app to function properly. There are several helper apps nested away which also need to be on the allowed list.

It's all good fun with OSX!

Prevent users from running apps on their USB devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.