Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much ram can my iMac take?

Hi all, just bought a iMac a few days ago and I'm just wondering how much ram can it take as I want to upgrade it. It didnt come with a manual, so I don't know.

Here's the spec so far

Early 2008 20"

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Graphics ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB

Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)

Thanks for any help in advance

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 6:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 8:16 AM

At the top of this page Click the Support Tab, the click the link Manuals then in the Search Manuals field Search for your Mac with somthing like this.... iMac (20-inch Early 2008 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)

I am sure the manual will tell you all you need to know.

7 replies

Oct 19, 2012 8:41 AM in response to timek4

There are two answers: the official Apple answer and the "you're on your own" answer.

1 - For the official iMac max RAM, see iMac Memory specifications and upgrades

2 - For the "your're on your own" answer, everymac.com has a list of the Actual Maximum RAM you can put in every model Mac. In many cases this is more than the official maximum RAM.

After deciding how much RAM you want to put in your iMac, I suggest going to Crucial.com and use the memory advisor or system scanner to see what RAM modules are compatible with your iMac.

Oct 19, 2012 8:46 AM in response to timek4

You can install up to 6GB of memory in your iMac, as noted by OWC. For Mountain Lion, while the minimum is 2GB which you have, 4GB is recommended for performance purposes.

Your system will run a little faster with matched memory, ie 2 x 2GB, as opposed to unmatched, ie, a 2GB and a 4GB. Tests have shown 3% to 5% speed improvement with matched memory, which is due to the Intel architecture's memory access. However, if the programs you run are real memory hogs, the slight speed advantage of matched memory may be offset by having more memory for your programs to run in.

How much ram can my iMac take?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.