Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro power button takes 3-4 presses to start up

My Mac Pro (dual-2.4ghz quad core intel) takes 3-4 presses of the power button to start up. The first press, I can hear a "click" then two more with nothing and the on the 4th one it starts up. Sometimes it only takes three. Another issue that started around the same time is the computer wont wake from sleep.

Any ideas?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), dual-2.4ghz quad core intel

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 8:02 AM

8 replies

Oct 19, 2012 8:10 AM in response to Nickpalm79

... and you already tried reset SMC (unplug, hit power button, reconnect) and ruled out any devices connected.

I'd take it in while you can. You can also run AHT but I wouldn't expect it to find anything. And take a fresshly formatted drive and do a clean install.

What upgrades if any have been done? RAM included.

Troubleshooting: My computer won't turn on

https://support.apple.com/kb/TS1367

Symptoms

If your Macintosh computer won't turn on, here's how to troubleshoot it. Please keep in mind that although your computer may display similar symptoms that prevent it from showing video, this article discusses what to do if the computer won't turn on, meaning that when you press the power button:

• You don't hear a startup chime.
  • You don't hear any fan or drive noise.
  • The power button or power indicator doesn't light up at all.
If your computer doesn't display any video, it may display one or more of these similar symptoms when you press the power button:
  • You may hear a startup chime.
  • You may hear fan or drive noise.
  • You may see the power button or power indicator light up.
If any of these conditions occurs, see Troubleshooting: My computer has no video instead.

Resolution

If your computer won't turn on, try each of these steps:

1. Make sure that the power cord is plugged into a working wall outlet, and that it's properly connected to the power adapter. (To check if the wall socket is working, plug in a lamp or other electrical device.)
  2. Make sure that the power adapter is properly connected to the power port on the side or back of the computer.
  3. Disconnect all accessories that are plugged into the computer, such as a printer, hub, or other mobile device.
  4. Reset the computer's PMU, SMC, or PRAM. Refer to the instructions for your model:

reset SMC For "Mac wont' turn on or boot" and related

https://support.apple.com/kb/TS1367

General purpose Mac troubleshooting guide: Isolating issues in Mac OS X

Creating a temporary user to isolate user-specific problems: Isolating an issue by using another user account

Identifying resource hogs and other tips: Using Activity Monitor to read System Memory and determine how much RAM is being used

Starting the computer in "safe mode": Mac OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

To identify potential hardware problems: Apple Hardware Test

General Mac maintenance: Tips to keep your Mac in top form

Oct 19, 2012 8:23 AM in response to Nickpalm79

And you unplugged everything other than mouse/kb... As for RAM, no one really buys from Apple, when you can get better with longer warranty for 1/3 the price.

sometimes you need spare good parts to troubleshoot. Could be video card, could even be memory - leave the side door off so you can watch.

So it is just shy of 2 yrs, still under Applecare you bought? and while I wouldn't hold out hope, if you can, that way yhou also establish date of problem beginning and make use of AC.

Apple Servcie or Store within hours drive?

And you are hopefully using a well respected UPS (minimum 1000VA, more likely 1500VA).

Me: I would outfit it wtih SSD and two more hard drives if you have not, and 24GB RAM - when you get it working properly.

In the meantime, duplicate you backup strategy and keep a good OS backed up, cloned and handy too.

www.macsales.com/memory/macpro

Apr 29, 2013 8:47 AM in response to Valo118

I took it into the apple store, and even though I don't have apple care they reinstalled the operating system free of charge and that temporarily fixed the problem. However it is back again. Now I just live with it. I press the power button once...wait 5 seconds until I hear the click, and then press it again and it works.

Mac Pro power button takes 3-4 presses to start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.