Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

which windows bit to use with parallels

I'm a Newby, and I"m looking to use Parallels with my new Mac Pro 13" duo processor I7. So, I need to get Parallels and was looking at a Windows 7 OEM disk. Never have thought much about 32 or 64 bit, what's the difference and is one better then the other for everyday computing?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 9:44 AM

5 replies

Oct 19, 2012 10:59 AM in response to Hoosier65

I prefer Windows 8.

There is a forum for Windows on Mac: Boot Camp Community witrh FAQs and more.

This is not notebook forum

Look up Wikipedia "Parallels"

Install Windows via Boot Camp natively,, then link it to Parallels so you can run dual boot direct to hardware when needed

Windows 8 comes out 23rd

There is no need on desktop for a 32-bit OS, and OEM ("system builder" comes with just one, retail costs too much and comes iwth both media.

Oct 19, 2012 2:10 PM in response to Hoosier65

If your computer can handle it (yes, your computer can handle it) use 64 bit, it's faster. I bought a retail version off ebay for a pretty good price.

I would run windows 7, seeing as vista sucked, XP is outdated, and from what I've heard windows 8 was designed primarily for touch screen purposes and it might be even worse than vista.

Oct 22, 2012 11:53 AM in response to Hoosier65

Hi for what it is worth ...

I am using a MacBook Pro with 8G ram, and due to some of the applications I have to run for work, I run Parallels and Windows 7 64 bit

I find the Windows platform VERY stable. I went for Parallels, as I want to run Windows inside my Mac environment, and bit not want to dual boot i.e. have to shut down programs to switch from one to the other.

All the updates work very well, all the applications I run in the Windows environment are stable, and cause me no problems at all.

Everything on the MAC runs well, with no effect on the processes. When I plug anything into the USB ports, I am then given the option if I want teh device to run in the Mac environment or the Windows,

Hope that helps

which windows bit to use with parallels

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.