Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

---> "Professionals" couldn't help me. Maybe you can.

I have an image (both photo and video) in my timeline. I need to have a circle or arrow in those images drawing attention to certain things on the screen. I use the regular shapes generator from FCPX, do my tweaks and place the circles/arrows in the appropriate spots. All good.

Now - I would like to be able to transition them into the photo or video, so they don't just cut and pop on the screen. There are lots of tansitions I can choose from, but which ever one I pick, the transition effect affects the whole entire image.

I.E. - Let's say I would like to add flash/bloom (apply some kind of light transition) to my arrow or shape and have it appear that way on the screen. When I add it as a transition, the effect flashes/blooms the whole screen - not just the shape.

In FCP 6/7, the transition only affected the clip it was applied to.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 10:52 AM

14 replies

Oct 20, 2012 3:24 PM in response to AppleUsur

You'd be better off using simple Compositing: Opacity fades. Select the clip or compound for your shapes "layer" and type Control-V. From the (Video Animation) popup, at the bottom, there is a small black disclosure button (very small downward triangle inside) on the right side of the Compositing: Opacity line -- click that and the there are Fade In/Fade Out opacity controls on both edges (small circles you can click and drag to control the timing of the fades.)

You can also keyframe the opacity of the entire clip right in that popup. Hold down the option key and click on the Opacity "level" line. You can afterwards click on the small diamond shapes and drag them to the level you require.

Oct 20, 2012 6:48 PM in response to AppleUsur

Hey all...thanks for the feedback. As originally stated by Tom Wolsky, some effects will work and some will not (3D, etc.).

I believe as of now, there is no possible way to use some of the transitions on a shape generator (or something else) without affecting the whole entire clip.

BTW..Jakob..that is how I do it.

Frustrating! FCP provides some cool transitions, but you're not able to single out the actual application of the transition with most of them.

Oct 20, 2012 6:53 PM in response to AppleUsur

AppleUsur wrote:

Hey all...thanks for the feedback. As originally stated by Tom Wolsky, some effects will work and some will not (3D, etc.).

I believe as of now, there is no possible way to use some of the transitions on a shape generator (or something else) without affecting the whole entire clip.

BTW..Jakob..that is how I do it.

Frustrating! FCP provides some cool transitions, but you're not able to single out the actual application of the transition with most of them.

Hmm, strange, it works here! The transition on the screenshot, is the Bloom as you asked about..

Oct 20, 2012 10:26 PM in response to Jakob Peterhänsel

I'm not saying I wasn't wrong... initially. I misread "transition into" as a fade/dissolve. I have since reread the post more carefully.

Of course you're right, as far as this: you can add a compound or secondary storyline and that will create the effect from the transition the OP has asked about (as will applying any of the Stencil/Silhouette blend modes for masking techniques, which will cut through everything underneath the "layer" with the compositing blend setting.) Grouping (aka, compound clip) will stop those related actions, isolating them to the contents of the group.

The necessity of grouping is due to the fact that Transitions and Titles copy the storyline (or what's "visible" below their level) into the template (within the scope of the group they exist in... i.e., storyline, compound clip, secondary storyline -- there's actually a placeholder provided in Motion -- these allow for direct interactions with created material and the original media within the template). This type of thing would be better created as an Effect (which uses only the clip's source media [another placeholder.]) And so, I did (see below.)

However, working the (default) Flash transition this way (compounding) does not eliminate the whole screen blanking to white for that frame or three since the effect is affected by a solid white canvas covering rectangle regardless of source (which is very likely the effect most people want most of the time, but not the OP, in this case.)

I was killing time (watching "The Horror of Dracula") when I put this together -- everyone is welcome to give it a try:

http://sight-creations.com/fxexchange/Fade-Flash-Fade.zip (not a brilliant name -- and -- it doesn't do a bloom -- but -- it's free). This needs to be installed as a Motion Templates Effect. Parameters include length of fade (0 to about 70 frames even though the "scale" is 0 - 100) and the amount of blur for the "flash in/flash out" effect (a gaussian blur from about 64 min to 600 max; even though the scale is 10-100). "Everything" is relative to the length of fade setting. This effect only whites out and blurs whatever the source of the clip is and doesn't attempt to flash the whole screen (initial luma values have an impact on full screen media). I recommend shorter fade times with shorter clips (designed for 150 frames with max length fades of 70 frames either side of the 10 frame "neutral zone" (which is the segment that will get time stretched when length is changed). It's effective with Titles and Generators as well and best used on connected clips, not the main storyline (try it with connected clip Placeholder generator 🙂 -- "kinda" beam-me-down-scotty going in and nuclear annihilation on the way out... LOL ).

If you would be interested in altering the default Flash transition template in this fashion, in Motion, delete the group containing the rectangles and to the group containing the Transition A and B sources, add a Hue Saturation filter and keyframe the Value parameter to it's maximum value at the edge of the source changes and back to default at the end and Save (it will automatically be created as "Flash copy" -- you cannot accidentally overwrite the default templates).

Oct 24, 2012 8:32 PM in response to AppleUsur

You probably could. Hue/Saturation is in Effects > Basics and Gaussian Blur is in Blur (and if one instance isn't enough, you can add 2 or more). Although, for the FCPX versions, I'd recommend throwing in a Basics > Threshold to help force everything to white more efficiently.

But this is part of the "issue" -- Motion is *designed* to be an *integral* part of FCPX (as is Compressor) but neither is absolutely necessary to handle the "basics" of editing.

Some of us really "into" Motion try to have your back 🙂

Here is the transition as I suggested modifications to above:

http://sight-creations.com/fxexchange/Flashcopy.zip

There are 2 choices available in the inspector -- Transition *through white* or *through black*

Oct 24, 2012 9:42 PM in response to AppleUsur

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Just to make sure we're all clear here..this is what I'm intersted in..

If you look at the screenshot, you'll notice a few basic arrows in the middle of various transitions over an image (besides the one in the center at the bottom which is in its complete form). You see how the main image is not being affected by the transitions? I did this in FCP6. In FCPX, with most of the transitions, the image would also be affected. In FCPX, you are not able to isolate the transition just to one image and that's the problem..

User uploaded file

Feb 26, 2014 11:14 PM in response to AppleUsur

I think I found the solution to this problem, it has plagued me as well. I drop in a blank Photoshop layer I saved as a png inbetween the graphics that I want to Bloom. I save the png and just call it SLUG and import into my browser for which ever project I am editing. It's a real mystery because there have been times when the Bloom only effected the grapghic and not the entire timeline. More often than not the Bloom will Bloom the entire frame of video. I hope this helps and I hope my solution keeps working. Here's a screen shot of what I did.

User uploaded file

---> "Professionals" couldn't help me. Maybe you can.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.