Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt to AV receiver and on to HDTV

I am trying to play movies through my new Yamaha RX A-2010 AV receiver from my Macbook Pro via the thunderbolt connection converted to HDMI.

The receiver recognises the sound, but the laptop does not see the HDTV through receiver. As a consequence, no image signal is sent to the receiver, and then on to the HDTV.

When I connect the laptop directly to the HDTV - the TV appears as a display choice alongside the laptop, and when chosen, the image is perfect.

I then connect the headphone jack out via phono/RCA plugs to the receiver and I get sound, which appears to decode into surround sound,but this is quite inelegant.

Am I doing something wrong, and is there a way of getting the laptop to recognise there is anothe monitor?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 15" 2.3 GHZ Core i7

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 11:48 AM

5 replies

Dec 1, 2012 4:40 AM in response to Timothy Holt

OK, back before I bought my Apple Thunderbolt Display, I used this adapter from Monoprice to connect to my Denon receiver and thus to my LG television. Worked a treat. I just had to get the setup right on my MBP and everything just worked.

I don't know if the problem is your adapter or not - the one I bought from Monoprice carried both audio and video without any extra cables. All of the DSP was done through the receiver.

Clinton

Thunderbolt to AV receiver and on to HDTV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.