Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2009 MacBook Pro Application Opening Problems

Hey everyone, recently my 2009 13 inch MacBook Pro has been acting up lately. It has this weird problem where I can't open any applications, like if I try to open up FireFox it says "There is already one copy of FireFox running, cannot open" or if I try to open up iTunes it give me an error that says "The iTunes application could not be opened. An unknown error occurred (13014)" Skype says "Can't create lock file. Can't create lock file and /users/blahblah/library..." but after I restart the computer, the applications open up fine but it's a little laggy for a few minutes. Any ideas why this is happening?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 1:14 PM

8 replies

Oct 21, 2012 7:12 PM in response to newbiepber

Not sure....

First,

Try using Disk Utility to do a Disk Repair, as shown in this link, while booted up on your install disk. You could have some directory corruption. Let us know what errors Disk Repair reports and if DU was able to repair them. This could just be a start in repairs and you may need a better utility to finish the job.

Then Repair Permissions.

No need to report any Permissions errors........we all get them.

 DALE

Oct 22, 2012 2:00 PM in response to Dale Weisshaar

Thank you for the advice, I'm kind of busy with school right now and don't have my install disc currently, but I'll be getting it back within the next couple of days and then I'll try to Disk Utility. I just have a few questions before I end up doing it, would you suggest that I back everything up on an external HD before going through with the Disk Utility?

Dec 14, 2012 4:20 PM in response to JustinC1415

Hey man, sorry I read this and completely forgot about it cause I've been swamped with school. It turned out that my HD crashed, but after replacing the HD I was still getting the issue of applications not opening so I took it back into Apple a third time and they did an iLife restore or something like that and my Macbook has been working fine ever since. Once again, sorry for the extremely late response.

2009 MacBook Pro Application Opening Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.