Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: How do I clear cache in Safari now?

found the answer.

Message was edited by: Lisa Hodgen

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

You can enable the Develop menu to clear the cache if you don't want to clear your history...

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Advanced tab.

Select: Show Develop menu in menu bar

Now from the menu bar click Develop > Empty Caches

Posted on

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Question marked as Solved

Oct 19, 2012 1:54 PM in response to Lisa Hodgen In response to Lisa Hodgen

You can enable the Develop menu to clear the cache if you don't want to clear your history...

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Advanced tab.

Select: Show Develop menu in menu bar

Now from the menu bar click Develop > Empty Caches

Oct 19, 2012 1:54 PM

Reply Helpful (19)

Oct 19, 2012 2:02 PM in response to Lisa Hodgen In response to Lisa Hodgen

Safari... Reset Safary... or something similar. And you will have a choice to reset many things as cache

I have it in Italian I hope you find it if my translation is not perfect.

Wrong suggestion.

Oct 19, 2012 2:02 PM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Helpful

Oct 19, 2012 1:55 PM in response to Lisa Hodgen In response to Lisa Hodgen

For some reason Apple buried the ability to clear Safari's cache in the Develop menu, which you have to enable.

Safari > Preferences > Advanced > Show Develop menu in menu bar: check

Develop menu > Empty Caches.

Oct 19, 2012 1:55 PM

Reply Helpful (7)

Oct 19, 2012 3:00 PM in response to WALTER-MILANO-ITALY In response to WALTER-MILANO-ITALY

It's not easy to keep up with all the changes from one Safari version to the next.

If you click Safari > Reset Safari

You won't see any options for clearing the cache directly, but you can clear the cache by selecting: Clear History

But not everyone wants to lose their History so we suggest alternatives such as enabling the develop menu.

Oct 19, 2012 3:00 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Dec 27, 2012 4:23 PM in response to Carolyn Samit In response to Carolyn Samit

This function does not delete the Safari cache.db file, which contains details on all pages the user has visited. The only way to delete it is to do so manually in the Finder. Chrome and Firefox both delete their cache.db file when the user clears their browser data. Only Safari fails to do this.

This is an appaling privacy failure.

Dec 27, 2012 4:23 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 28, 2012 4:52 AM in response to Pedro Santos In response to Pedro Santos

The Safari cache.db file is located in <username>/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/

By default, Mountain Lion hides your home directory's Library folder (username/Library). To access it from Finder, you must open the "Go" menu and hold down the Option key to reveal the Library in the menu's drop down list. You can then click on Library in the menu, which will open it in a Finder window.

Once there, open the Caches folder and then the com.apple.Safari folder.

Dec 28, 2012 4:52 AM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: Lisa Hodgen

Question: How do I clear cache in Safari now?