Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Profile Manager does not recognize existing OD master

I built up a new Mountain Lion server at home, migrated all user data from an older server to it and today brought it into production in a colocation center. The nly thing I had to change in the colcocation environment was the IP address of the server. Everything else, even the hostname (DNS name), was already set in my home environment (I ran a DNS server at home for this). Profile Manager was already set up and therefore also Open Directory was running (without certificate). All users (except the admin) are stored in OD. At home I used the airport interface with a private address and in the colocation environment I use a public IP address on the ethernet interface.

After placing the server in the colocation centre verything went OK, but for Profile Manager. I was able to login as admin and as a user, but I was not able to install profiles on devices (https://server/mydevices). Therefore I did reset Profile Manager following http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5349. But now when I try to use the configure button in Profile Manager in Server.app to set up device management, it wants to create an OD master or replica. This is not what should happen according to the knowledge base article. It should use the existing OD master and just ask for the organization etc. I have a clone of the server as it was configured at home and tried the same procedure on this server, but then everything goes as expected from the knowledge base article. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this on my new colocated server?

I do not want to destroy OD, as I am not sure how to preserve all local network users.

Thanks for your help!

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 1:34 PM

There are no replies.

Profile Manager does not recognize existing OD master

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.