Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook charger not working

My MacBook charger has stopped working any solutions to make it work beside buying a new one?

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 2:12 PM

15 replies

Jan 16, 2013 6:39 PM in response to Ksmithdesigns

My Magsafe charged intermittently through 2012 and often my MacAir would run ONLY if it was plugged in because it was so out of juice. I tried cleaning the heck out of the pins on the charger and the Mac, to no avail. Also tried all software solutions posted online to no avail. I was kind of bull-headed about not spending on out-of-warranty repair, or a new charger. I'm glad:

Last week my Mac accidentally dropped to the floor thanks to my feline kids, and the charger pin "broke" i.e. the rectangular silver contact piece came off. I was relieved when I could just push it back into the charger pin with no glue or anything (a half-working charger is better than no charger!) and thankfully it still supplied power (but did not charge). Then the intermittent light bulb in my head switched on, and I got my pliers and tugged the silver piece back off after a couple of hefty pulls (now that I knew it safely came off). I thought why not give the insides a good cleaning.

I pulled a small, loose flat plastic piece (with four holes) out of the silver contact piece. Now I had two pieces - the silver contact piece and the plastic piece. And I had the exposed pins on the charger end. I set to work meticulously cleaning/scraping the pins on the wire end (and around the base of each pin), then cleaned the silver and plastic pieces as well. Basically the same thing I did 6 months ago, but now there was more exposed surface that I could reach and clean. When put it all back together, the charger worked like a charm. Took ten minutes total from the time the cats dropped the Mac. The charger has been working like new for the past week.

Hope this helps someone else out there.

Jan 30, 2013 8:32 PM in response to Ksmithdesigns

The issue might be with the System Management Controller (SMC). See posting by Carolyn Samit. I tried this and it didn't work, but here is something that worked, but I don't know if this can be replicated or I just had dumb luck: I let the MacBook Pro totally run out of power because of course I did not have a working charger (I was watching YouTube videos all the way down to 1% and then the laptop shut down). When I plugged the charger back in on the off-chance that it would work--since with the SMC issue, it might not be a hardware issue--it did! The green light came on to show there was a connection, and then the orange light came on to signify that it was charging, confirmed by the battery icon on the screen.

I'm leaving the charger on overnight. I'll have to see whether this is a one-time fluke or a permanent fix tomorrow. In any case, it might be that draining the computer battery completely is a way of resetting the SMC.

Apr 3, 2014 1:53 PM in response to Ksmithdesigns

I have been having problems with my charger for a little while now and I finally figured out that one of the pins in the charger cable is loose so it retracts back into the cable. basically what happened to this one:

http://37prime.com/magsafe_pushed_pin.jpg

(just I have a different model)

If you turn it upside down and shake it a little, it might pop back out like mine did. Or grab some tweezers and pull it a bit further out.

Apr 6, 2014 1:09 AM in response to Ksmithdesigns

My charger stopped working. My wife took the charger to an authorised apple dealer and the dealer did not accpet the charger because there was presence of liquid inside when he moved the wire in the proximity of the charger. (!!!???!!!) How did the liquid get in there? Good question. I has purchased the macbook air about two months before the proble started and I might hve used the computer three or four times (because I have another macbook air). Neither computer nor charger ever came close to liquids. And even had i dipped it in a bath, i expect the housing to be well sealed. Buyt i did not dip it in the bath. Nevertheless, i manage to charge my computer by unplugging it from the mains and replugging it. It then charges for a few minutes, then the LED goes off. I unplug, wait a few seocnds and replug. Sometimes yo uneed to wait a little longer before replugging.

MacBook charger not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.