Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find My iPhone does not find my MacBook Air

I recently bought this new MBA in San Francisco and brought it to São Paulo (Brazil). I used the Migration Assistant to set it up according to my previous MBP 13", but since then I'm experiencing problems trying to locate the MBA with Find My iPhone. Some times it shows up as "Unknown", although I did name it at System Preferences>Sharing>Computer Name.

I have the same iCloud account set up both on the MBA and iPhone 4S, but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Does anyone have a hint on this?

Thanks.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 2:23 PM

14 replies

Apr 5, 2013 2:42 AM in response to WeRockYourWeb.com

I'm having similar issues with my MBA.

I travel a lot and use my MBA for these trips, but as a personal preference I never change the timezone on my laptop. Usually my iPhone has local time, and my MBA stays in my home timezone.

As a side note, should your MBA or iPhone get stolen, I guess this whole "find my iPhone/Mac" is pretty useless anyways because the settings are not protected by a passcode lock.

All a potential thief has to do is uncheck the "find my iPhone/Mac" option and voila, they're in business, so it's a nice gimmick but nothing more than that, unless I'm missing something... 😮

May 5, 2013 3:58 AM in response to ModestoJr

Set up Find My iPhone on a Mac

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click iCloud.If you’re asked to sign in, enter your Apple ID, or if you don’t have one, click “Create an Apple ID,” then follow the instructions that appear.User uploaded file
  2. Select the Find My Mac checkbox, then confirm that you want to allow Find My iPhone to use the location of this Mac.User uploaded fileTip: For added security, make sure your user account requires a password and that automatic login is turned off in Users & Groups preferences. For more information, choose Help > System Preferences Help.

Find My iPhone does not find my MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.