Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need old 'missing plug in' for Java 6

Hi all,

I have recently downloaded the new Java 7 download however this is not compatible with alot of programmes that I need to use on my computer.

I have completly restored all of my computer and am now back to square one so have the Java 6 download. I am told that I am missing the plug in though and the only option I have is to download the Java 7 plug in or whatever the option is.

Can anyone advise me as to how to go about getting back the old plug in for Java 6.

Thanks

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 3:21 PM

23 replies

Oct 20, 2012 7:18 PM in response to Caledonia80

Caledonia80 wrote:

This is an issue for me also. Java 7 update 9 from Oracle doesn't run certain web-based java programs I wish to use, so I need to go back to Java 6. In other words I need to reverse this update by Apple, 2012-006. How can this be done?

The only easy way is by using Time Machine to go back to where you were before you did the update. If you cannot do that then you will have to backup all your user data, erase your hard drive and install OS X from the original disk along with any other applications you may have had. Then restore your user data from the backup.

Oct 21, 2012 7:51 AM in response to baltwo

That's all well and good if you wanna remove it entirely (which i guess will do for now thank you baltwo), but this seems rather drastic! isn't there a way just to switch between them like the old Java Preferences.app, it's only because of one incompatible piece of software i need to switch between, otherwise i'm glad that their moving inline with oracles java builds.

I've tried restoring the Java Preferences.app but it doesnt actually work anymore. There must be some way of adding the old builds to the Oracle Pref Pane but it doesnt have an 'add' button like the windows/linux one.

anyone have a solution?

Oct 21, 2012 12:00 PM in response to Sut3kh

Sut3kh wrote:

That's all well and good if you wanna remove it entirely (which i guess will do for now thank you baltwo), but this seems rather drastic! isn't there a way just to switch between them like the old Java Preferences.app, it's only because of one incompatible piece of software i need to switch between, otherwise i'm glad that their moving inline with oracles java builds.

Although the Java Preference app allowed you to switch between different versions of Java SE, I do not believe that enabled one to switch between versions of the Java JRE Internet Plug-In which remained in place, eventually as a symlink to CoreDeploy.bundle. The FAQ does say that if you want all the functionality of Java 7 you must install the JDK version since the JRE version only swaps out the plugin.

The only method of switching for web browsing would seem to be to keep both the Java 7 plug-in and the Java 6 simlink handy and swap them out when you want need to switch. Writing a shell script or AppleScript to quickly accomplish such a task could be written if you are handy in that area.

Oct 21, 2012 5:56 PM in response to baltwo

baltwo wrote:

Check out Java for Mac FAQs. IIRC, they give the directions to revert.

Turns out those instructions are wrong and apparently out of date.

First they include the "% " prompt before the commands which tends to confuse Mac users, especially the majority who are using bash with a "$ " prompt and not tcsh. Users should ignore the percent sign-space before sudo.

Next they forgot to escape the space between "Internet" and "Plug-Ins" so the command fails to find the target directory.

Then they provide a simlink to the wrong plug-in.

At least one user has successfully switched from the Java 7 plugin to the Java 6 plugin using the followng two lines:

sudo rm -rf /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

sudo ln -s /System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/JavaPlugin2_NPAPI .plugin /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

I suspect the simlink (last term in the second command) could be named "JavaPlugin2_NPAPI.plugin" and work just as well, but I have not way to test that.

Oct 22, 2012 12:28 AM in response to baltwo

Normally I would have done that already, but I'm not comfortable doing it since I must still use Java 5, so somebody else will need to tackle that. Or I guess I could just drop by Larry's office tomorrow and let him know 😉

In fact I've been way out of my league in this entire discussion, but it seems there aren't a lot of Java experts around this weekend.

I'm trying to sort thorough the installer scripts now to try and figure out why users are encountering different results with the same update. I think Apple needs some feedback on this one, as well.

Oct 22, 2012 5:14 AM in response to MadMacs0

To restore Apple Java VM:

1. Remove Oracle Java (see http://www.java.com/en/download/help/mac_uninstall_java.xml)

2. Remove folder /System/Library/Java

3. Remove folders /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaJavaFrameEmbedding.framework and /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework

4. Install package /Packages/JavaEssentials.pkg from Mac OS X Lion DVD

5. Install Apple Java for Lion from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1421

6. Do not update Java via Software Update!

Oct 22, 2012 5:51 AM in response to randomice

randomice wrote:

Thus it is necessary to understand that Apple removed the current Java plugin v6 for our safety.

Yes, but at least following my modification above of Oracle's instructions for restoring the plug-in eliminates the known threat and leaves you with 1.6.0_37 that has many less vulnerabilities than does _29 or _35.

Need old 'missing plug in' for Java 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.