Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After system update mac mini will not boot up.

I just downloaded the system update and after reboot my mac mini internal disk is no longer bootable. Any suggestion what to do?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 4:57 PM

10 replies

Oct 19, 2012 5:33 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for your reply.

When I hold down the option key and boot I get a choice of MacMini HD or Recovery HD. Unfortunately neither one will boot up.

Do you happen to know, if I run the install disc, will I lose all my files? Most of my work is backed up but I have a few recent documents I'd hate to lose.

I appreciate your help.

Oct 19, 2012 6:55 PM in response to IdahoKaren

Sadly, while Repair Disk ran and reports there is nothing to repair, the internal drive remains unbootable.

Disk Utility cannot repair permissions because there are "no valid packages".

So I've booted again from the install CD and thought maybe I could use Disk Utility's Restore feature. I have an external Firewire drive connected and it appears on the list of drives in Restore. (The list includes the internal hard drive, the CD, and the external Firewire drive.)

But how do I select source and destination disks, since they are not mounted on the desktop? I tried dragging them from the list, but can't get that to work.

Any advice appreciated.

Oct 20, 2012 11:32 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks.

It's strange, though, because the computer was running 10.7. The error message pertains to 10.3 /10.4

Maybe the install disk is not the correct one for this Mac. (Neither the disk nor the online dialog boxes say which version will be installed, just Mac OS X.)

I bought this mac mini used last May with the OS pre-installed and I never checked the disks that came with. The copyright date on the CD label is 2006, so I might have a mismatch.

Looks like I need to make a road trip to the nearest city and see a repair shop -- or buy a new mac.

Thanks so much for your help during my dark hour!

Oct 20, 2012 11:43 AM in response to IdahoKaren

Yes, it must be the older version of OSX you have, DO NOT attempt to repair the drive with it.

A new Mini might be what is needed, but...

Snow Leopard/10.6.x Requirements...

General requirements

* Mac computer with an Intel processor

* 1GB of memory (I say 4GB at least, more if you can afford it)

* 5GB of available disk space (I say 30GB at least)

* DVD drive for installation

* Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.

* Some features require Apple’s MobileMe service; fees and terms apply.

Which apps work with Mac OS X 10.6?...

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

It's been pulled from the online store & Apple Stores, so you have to call Apple to buy it, last I heard.

Call Apple Sales...in the US: 1-800-MY-APPLE. Or Support... 1-800-275-2273

Other countries...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HE57

After system update mac mini will not boot up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.