Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Need of Some Help with the Latest Software Update...

Hello-

I have installed the Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 10 back on 9/6. a few days ago a new software update for my MacBook Pro version 10.6.8 wants to be installed and I am not sure if I install it or not since I have already installed the update as I mentioned above on 9/6.

The latest software update which I have NOT installed yet is Java for Mac OS X 10.6 update 11.

Any suggestions? Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 500 GB HD 7200 rpm

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 6:03 PM

16 replies

Oct 19, 2012 7:17 PM in response to roam

hey roam- but it says next to the update the following---"On systems that have not already installed Java for Mac OS X 10.6 update 9 or later, this update will configure web browsers to not automatically run Java applets." This sounds like this update is for systems that have NOT already installed update 9 or later. Am I not reading this correctly?

Oct 19, 2012 9:28 PM in response to NObodE

Hello NObodE,

You are reading it correctly in the sense that all updates 9,10 and 11 have in common the temporary disabling of Java.

Which means if you don't use Java at all, then there is no need to install the update.

However, if you do use Java occasionally by manually re-enabling it, then update 11 contains new fixes that were previously not known when update 10 came out, and in turn update 10 contained fixes that were an improvement over update 9. So while they have that common thread of disablement, they also have specific elements within them as well, that vary with each update, which is of benefit, if you choose to use Java.

Oct 19, 2012 9:49 PM in response to roam

ok, thanks. I just don't want to mess up my MBP anymore then I already have. I read a couple Apple security websites and one was even saying that this latest java update is really only for 10.7 and higher. I thought that was strange since it says 10.6. I did follow the earlier recommendation and uncecked Enable Java in Safari---security---enable Java has been unchecked. I do not think I have ever come across a website asking me to enable Java. So even know it says what I parapharased above you think if I install this latest update 11 then I will not run the risk of making this old MBP really start to fade on me much more than it already has.

Oct 20, 2012 6:28 PM in response to NObodE

NObodE wrote:

I read a couple Apple security websites and one was even saying that this latest java update is really only for 10.7 and higher.

There are two updates, one for Snow Leopard only and another for Lion/Mountain Lion. The latter completely removes the plug-ins rather than just disabling them, forcing those users to upgrade to Java 7 if they need Java in their browsers.

Oct 20, 2012 7:37 PM in response to MadMacs0

madmac-

I understand there are 2 updates. So what is the big deal with removing Java if I have disabled it in like 3 different places on my MBP?

This additional info. that comes with the software update, which I am sure you read above, sounds like...well I will paste it here and get your opinion of if I should install this update after installing everyone before this latest one and disabeling java in 3 different place on my MBP.

"On systems that have not already installed Java for Mac OS X 10.6 update 9 or later, this update will configure web browsers to not automatically run Java applets."

Are you saying I should still install the latest Update 11?

Oct 20, 2012 7:54 PM in response to MadMacs0

NObodE wrote:

I understand there are 2 updates. So what is the big deal with removing Java if I have disabled it in like 3 different places on my MBP?

But as I said it does not remove Java for Snow Leopard users. As you quoted it just insures that your web browser will not automatically run it. That's exactly the same thing that update 9 and 10 did. I'm not sure what three places you disabled it in (2 browsers and Java Preferences?) but did you also disable Java from running desktop applications by unchecking all the boxes in Java Preferences?

Are you saying I should still install the latest Update 11?

If you never use Java for anything on your Mac, then I guess there may be no reason to. Believe it or not, OS X actually uses a subset of Java code for some unknown reason. Whether this update includes that code or not I don't really know. If it does then it would make sense to install Update 11.

If you have any Java based applications on your Mac or if you think you might have occassion to use it on a web site at any time in the future, you should install Update 11.

The only reason I can think of not to install Update 11 is if you use the Java Preference app to switch between different versions of Java, which almost nobody will ever need to do. I really can't think of any other downside.

Oct 20, 2012 8:45 PM in response to NObodE

The Java Preferences application will list the runtimes available, and you can uncheck them to disable Java on your system. If you can disable Java this way, why all of the updates, especially this is the 3rd one I am being asked to install by Apple, when I have already installed the previous 2.

Are you familier with? I ask because of your comment about, "I'm not sure what three places you disabled it in..."

User uploaded file

Oct 20, 2012 9:05 PM in response to NObodE

NObodE wrote:

Yes, there are many areas in SL on my MBP beside Safari where the installed Java Applet, Java Preferences, etc. These are some of the places one can disable Java, especially in Java Pref. Did you not know this?

Yes, I knew this, I was just not clear on what three places you were talking about. Java Preferences allows you to choose what version of Java you want to use throughout your Mac or to disable all versions. It also allows you to disable your web plugin and applet starter in the top block. You can also disable the web plugin in most browsers, but this is redundant to the one in Java Preferences.

If you can disable Java this way, why all of the updates, especially this is the 3rd one I am being asked to install by Apple, when I have already installed the previous 2.

The third one (aka Update 11) updates SE 1.6.0_35 to 1.6.0_37 to close some security vulnerabilities. In your case that's the only reason you should install it.

In Need of Some Help with the Latest Software Update...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.