Skip navigation

iMac 1TB Replacement Program

10294 Views 110 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2012 6:25 AM by michael groff RSS Branched to a new discussion.
1 2 3 ... 8 Previous Next
Joe Gramm Level 5 Level 5 (6,315 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 19, 2012 6:15 PM

I just got an email from Apple stating my iMac qualifies for the iMac 1TB Seagate HD Relacement Program. Oh boy, aren't I lucky   I have Time Machine and a CCC bootable clone backup. Is it as simple as cloning back my System onto the new hard drive. The Apple email says I need to start from scratch with the Install DVD that came with the computer. What's the best proceedure.

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), IOS6, Apple TV2, Airport
  • GKruse1 Calculating status...
    Oct 19, 2012 6:40 PM (in response to Joe Gramm)

Mine failed just 3 months ago, but it's unclear if my replacement is affected in the recall.  I've now called Apple Support twice and have gotten two different answers.   On the first call, the technician said if the your serial number comes up eligilble and it's a SeaGate drive, you should take it in and replace it.  The second technician said if it's been replaced, it should be fine.   Anyone know if the replacement drives are faulty?

. . . and, FYI, when I had mine replaced, they asked which operating system I was using when it failed and they restored it at the store on the new drive.   Time machine restored my computer as expected.   It was quite smooth.   No complaints about the replacement - though it was a pain hauling a 27" iMac back into the store without the box! ! !

• a brody Level 9 Level 9 (62,060 points)
    Oct 19, 2012 6:48 PM (in response to Joe Gramm)

Oh my...Any idea how long it would take a Genius bar to replace a July 2010 hard drive?  It hasn't happened to me yet.   Also will they backup your data in the process for free?

• a brody Level 9 Level 9 (62,060 points)
    Oct 19, 2012 6:50 PM (in response to Joe Gramm)

A clone should be able to recover to a similar machine as long as the data is not too corrupted.

• GKruse1 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Oct 19, 2012 6:54 PM (in response to a brody)

My replacement took about 2 hrs - this was, of course, before the recall.   They do not backup your data, only restore it to factory specs.   You might however call and ask, but I suspect not.

• GKruse1 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Oct 19, 2012 6:56 PM (in response to Joe Gramm)

I took mine to the Apple retail store.   My understanding is it is only Seagate drives that are being recalled, but mine doesn't say Seagate, it only has the model number ST31000528AS rev AP2E.  

• babowa Level 7 Level 7 (22,100 points)
    Oct 19, 2012 7:14 PM (in response to Joe Gramm)

As far as I know, Nvidia makes graphics cards, not hard drives. Are you sure you checked here:

Screen Shot 2012-10-19 at 7.02.05 PM.png

@ abrody - They usually do not restore or backup your data - but that shouldn't be necessary; most people do have bootable clones or TM backups (or they should).

I've restored a clone to an internal; if an OS is installed on the new one, simply use TM to restore or, upon first setup, use Setup Assistant. I will most likely simply boot from my external clone, wipe the new internal drive, and clone my system back. That would be my preferred method.

I also received an email; I will call Apple to ask if it can be done in house since I have Applecare and in home service is included. If I have to take in the machine, I don't know that I would trust them with my SL install disks - I'd need to talk to them about it because I don't feel comfortable giving my disks to a repair place.

For anyone: remember to wipe the disk before it is replaced; you have no idea where that disk will go and who will have access to it......

Edit: I see you posted your HD info and it does say Nvidia - that is strange, especially since your hard drive also starts with ST which is Seagate.

Oct 19, 2012 9:17 PM (in response to Joe Gramm)

I've actually done it several times and it works quite well. I used it once on a new hard drive (an upgrade) for a Macbook - first cloned the internal to the newly formatted empty drive, and then swapped drives. I don't use Time Machine, so I don't know if or how a "restore" is different - I just prefer cloning it and since it is a clone, I don't think permissions would play a role of any kind. And it saved my .... several times during the early Lion and ML iterations.

Oct 20, 2012 9:05 AM (in response to Joe Gramm)

Well, do you have Applecare? I will call them up (I'm in no rush at this point) and ask for in home service and see if that can be arranged in this case.

1 2 3 ... 8 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (5)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.