Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I void tolls with map app?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 2:09 AM

15 replies

Dec 11, 2014 3:38 PM in response to dimaboro

"Avoid Toll Roads" is a MUST HAVE feature in a driving directions app! I cannot believe that Apple Maps still doesn't have this!

I have been using Google Maps because it has much superior traffic data, a better UI in my opinion, and it has the option to avoid toll roads.

However, I am very eager to install an aftermarket CarPlay unit in my car. The problem is that right now that only supports Apple Maps and not Google Maps. I am extremely disappointed by how much harder to use Apple Maps is compared to Google Maps :-(

Missing features in Apple Maps:

- "Avoid highways"

- "Avoid tolls"

- "Avoid ferries"

- Detailed and clearly marked traffic information

- Cycling directions

- Public transport directions

- North facing up during driving directions (!!)

*Sigh* - I really wish Apple Maps was better, so I could confidently make the switch to CarPlay for my in-car system. I'd go for it if Google Maps were available through CarPlay, but it isn't, and I have a feeling that it may never be, or at least not for a long time to come.

Erik

Dec 29, 2014 4:02 PM in response to Erik van der Neut

Thanks Meg. Thanks Eric. This issue has been bugging me for some time. Because toll roads are everywhere here and the tolls aren't cheap, many iPhone users in Brisbane have had to give up on Maps app and switch back to Google. I have noticed that the Maps app seems to prefer toll roads very strongly: it's not unusual to be given three options, ALL using tolls; and all of them slower than surface streets over the same route.

Many of us (friends and family) have noted this to such an extent that some speculate that Apple, or one or more of their providers, may have an undisclosed commercial agreement with the toll companies to preference their routes.

I hope you are listening Apple.

Dec 29, 2014 9:00 PM in response to therealsuds

This is not a solution: "Just click on a non-toll road on the map and it should adjust your route."

You set a destination before you start driving. While you are driving, you may deviate from the set route, at which point the navigation app will recalculate a new route for you. Obviously it's not a good idea at that point to start fumbling with the map while driving so you can double check the route and select a non-toll route if you have to.

You should be able to indicate from the outset that you want to avoid toll routes.

Erik

Dec 30, 2014 12:15 AM in response to phillipfrommonrovia

phillipfrommonrovia, I am in Brisbane as well, and I have the same experience as you. Luckily Google Maps does have the Avoid Tolls option, and I use it all the time. I just wish I didn't have to select that option for each route separately. In my opinion it should be a very easy to access permanent toggle, that can be switched during or before drives.

The CarPlay unit I have been eyeing is the Alpine ILX007. It's an absolute beauty, but it only supports Apple maps. With Apple Maps being so terrible and CarPlay not supporting Google Maps, CarPlay is a no-go for me at the moment. When the Android Auto units start coming out, I'll look into what it would take to switch to an Android phone. That would also mean giving up on iTunes Match though, but it seems worth looking into :-/

Erik

Dec 31, 2014 10:31 AM in response to Erik van der Neut

It is not a solution for "on the fly" adjustments however IT IS a solution if you follow the route. It would be ideal to have the overall option to avoid tolls and you are correct in saying It should be an option like even the most basic GPS units have. The solution I offered did provide the answer to the question the original poster asked.

Then Again you could also respond and say that the solution is to buy an Android phone that allows the option you spoke of but that wouldn't be helpful to the original poster either.

Please remember, if you are driving and you must use your phone or GPS, be safe and pull off to a safe location before you use them.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.