Skip navigation

JPG Best Quality & Original

769 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2012 8:53 AM by Old Toad RSS
1 2 Previous Next
EDLIU Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 20, 2012 4:53 AM

Hi,

Why is that "If I export photos with Original settings, it takes about 2MB". But if I open the exported photos with programs like Preview, and save it with BEST Quality, it takes more spaces(3.3MB)?

Does bigger size of the photos, means better quality of the pics? Why is that "Rotate and Save(BEST Quality) takes more spaces then "Export(Original)?

Does changing PIc quality from Original to BEST, makes the picture more clear and sharp?

Thanks.

Ed

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion
  • LarryHN Level 9 Level 9 (54,810 points)
    Oct 20, 2012 6:22 AM (in response to EDLIU)

No

you can not "improve" the quality of a photo once you take it  you can compress it less making it take more space but that does not "addd" quality - it gives you the original quality in a larger file

Exporting as Original gives you what your camera took

JPEG is a compressed format and better quality means less compression

LN

• Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (121,630 points)
    Oct 21, 2012 12:01 AM (in response to EDLIU)

What will you use these photos for? Will they be edited again?

Oct 21, 2012 12:11 AM (in response to EDLIU)

Then use the version that you like best with the smallest file size.

Can't help asking, why are you exporting the photos from iPhoto and rotating them in Preview? Why not rotate them in iPhoto?

Oct 21, 2012 12:20 AM (in response to EDLIU)

That's because if I edit and rotate the pictures in iPhoto, once they're exported and uploaded to SkyDrive(MS), they stay the same...

Two options here:

1. You're exporting worng

or

2. There's a problem with your Library.

What export settings are you using?

So I have to export them and use Preview to rotate them.

You don't.

BTW, do you mean I should use 500KM version then the 3MB version of the pictures? Can you tell me why I should do that?

I assume you mean 500kb (not KM) ? Because it's the photo you want with the most efficient use of disk space.

Regards

TD

Oct 21, 2012 12:46 AM (in response to EDLIU)

I think I'm exporting with "Original",

Well if you export the Original then you get the Original, and that's not rotated so it's a case of No 1 above.

As for best quality... well you're doing exactly the same procedures in Preview that you do in iPhoto - with the same choices and outcomes, just more inconveniently. It's even using the same background software to perform the tasks. Put it this way: if I can pick up this hammer here why would I walk around the warehouse first to... pick up this hammer here.

So, import the photos. Rotate them. Export the Photos. Note that to get the rotated version you have to export as something other than Original, so select Jepg. Now you have exactly the same choices under Jpeg quality as you do in Preview.

As for what happens when you choose different settings, a little trial and error will answer those questions for you.

Oct 21, 2012 7:12 AM (in response to EDLIU)

Your camera doesn't actually rotate any pixels in the file, but instead flags it with an instruction: "Display me this way". This is a tag in the Exif metadata.

When you import a file with this tag iPhoto creates a modified version. It does this because most of the apps that integrate with it -  email clients, word processors etc - simply don't understand this Exif tag. So if you used the shot in a word processing doc, uploaded it to many Web site etc, the shot would come out sideways.

Oct 21, 2012 9:24 AM (in response to EDLIU)

There's no direct comparison.

Remember I asked this above:

What will you use these photos for? Will they be edited again?

Remember, Jpeg isn't a photo, it's a system of compression. It squashes data to make the smallest possible file size for the data that it can. Higher quality means less squashing. Lower quality means more.

But it's stll the same photo. - regardless of how much squashing has gone on.

But Jpeg is a lossy format. Everytime the file is compressed some data gets thrown away. Viewing doesn't cause recompression, but editing does.

So, in theory, you can start with a 10mb file and eventually end up with an empty file if you keep editing it.

But if the file is never going to be edited again, and if it looks good to you at 50kb or 500kb or 1mb then no problem.

So, the key questions are:

What will the photos be used for? If - say - only to be viewed on line - then the file size doesn't matter. It's just about what looks good to you.

If the file is going to be edited again, then file size is important, and the more the better.

Regards

TD

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.