Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video recorded with iphone 4 stored in iphoto 11 but not showing up automatically in imovie 11. Can someone please help...cheers

Video recorded with iphone 4 shows up in iphoto 11 but does not show up automatically in imovie 11. Can someone please help...cheers

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 4:19 AM

5 replies

Oct 22, 2012 4:23 AM in response to nezzaknezza

The clips in iPhoto should appear within a separate heading in iMovie's Events Library. The heading will be entitled "iPhoto Videos" and normally appears near the top of the list in the Events. Clicking on this item will reveal all the clip thumbnails to the right of the Events items.

Are you not seeing the item "iPhoto Videos" in your Events Library?

My understanding is that videos recorded with an iPhone 4 (also 4S) are in the H.264 format, so should be compatible with iMovie '11.

John

Oct 30, 2012 11:00 PM in response to nezzaknezza

Good to hear that you are now seeing the iPhoto videos in the Events Library - thank you for letting us know.

Each time iMovie is opened it will look for any new video clips in your iPhoto Library. If any are found, iMovie will ask if you want to generate thumbnails now or leave until later. I always let iMovie generate the thumbnails, rather than deferring it, as it doesn't take very long for these incremental updates. Yours took over 1 hour because it was possibly the first time iMovie had worked through the process.

You may wish to consider importing your video directly to iMovie Events, rather than first importing to iPhoto. It's more efficient to work with normal Events than with the iPhoto Videos Event, mainly in regard to organizing the Events Library. But then again, you may have a particular reason for importing video to iPhoto, rather than simply using iMovie for all your video.

EDIT: I mainly import iPhone video clips to iPhoto - just those sent to me by my daughter. It is a handy place to keep stuff that you haven't shot yourself, and which doesn't require editing. I've set mine up in iPhoto in a Smart Folder named Movies.

John

Message was edited by: John Cogdell

Video recorded with iphone 4 stored in iphoto 11 but not showing up automatically in imovie 11. Can someone please help...cheers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.