Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Windows 7 on Bootcamp after upgrade to Mtn Lion

Before installing Mountain Lion I erased Windows XP and all contents from Bootcamp. Now I am running Mountain Lion and attempting to put windows 7 on Bootcamp 5.0.0. I ran the disk utility on Bootcamp and it shows (formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with 35 G available and nothing on it.

When I begin the Bootcamp assistant gives me a message "The Startup Disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition. The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing witndow." I clicked OK and was able to download the support software. Once I did that I inserted the Windows 7 CD but the Bootcamp assistant doesn't let me check the install box.

How do I install Win 7 in bootcamp. Thanks for your help.

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 9:01 AM

2 replies

Oct 25, 2012 6:51 AM in response to jojoshaw

It appears you did not remove XP correctly. Did you use Bootcamp Assistant to remove XP? If not then you have messed up your hard drive. You will need to reformat the drive and return it to a single Mac OS Extended (journaled) format. You can/should not use third party tools when working with Bootcamp partitions. Camptune does work to resize a Bootcamp partition but Bootcamp Assistant is the tool to use when creating/removing a Bootcamp partition.

Installing Windows 7 on Bootcamp after upgrade to Mtn Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.