Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

removable module causes freezeup

My G3 PowerBook had been working fine for the past year with my removable DVD drive.

My computer froze recently and continued to freeze on startup. I figured out that my computer will startup properly and work fine without the DVD drive in place. Placing the drive in my computer while it is on freezes the computer, whereas replacing the drive while the computer is shut down causes the computer to freeze on startup.

I also have a removable Zipdrive, and this causes the same problem, so I don't think there is something wrong with the removable drive(s), but my computer itself? Is this a hardware problem?

I have already performed the repair disk utility and cache out. This did not fix the problem. Any suggestions appreciated!

PowerBook G3 Pismo Mac OS X (10.3.9) 400 MHz

Posted on Apr 14, 2006 11:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2006 8:52 AM

Lisa,

Can you describe at what point during the startup it freezes? Does it freeze as the OS begins to load? If the freeze occurs as the powerbook is trying to initialize the drive and before the OS begins to load, it would not be a software problem. Software can, however, cause your freeze after the computer is running.

I will suggest a few procedures:

- Reset the PRAM, then test.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

- If no success, shut down > insert the DVD module > open the DVD tray and load a bootable 9.x or 10.x CD > power on and either press the 'c' key or 'option' key (this brings up the Startup Manager. If you can boot to a CD, then the freeze should not be a hardware problem. If you can boot to a CD, then I would try to correct your installed 10.3.9.

If Disk Utility finds no problems and flushing the caches is no help, then run Repair Disk Permissions and run the cron (maintenance) scripts with a third-party utility like Yasu or OnyX...now test.

If still an issue, I would think the next step would be an Archive & Install.

If, however, it appears to be a hardware problem (cannot boot to a CD), and both media bay drives cause the same problem, then you probably have a logic board issue. There is also the power supply card into which the battery and media bay drives connect; I don't know if this card can be at fault or the logic board.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2006 8:52 AM in response to LiSaVfree

Lisa,

Can you describe at what point during the startup it freezes? Does it freeze as the OS begins to load? If the freeze occurs as the powerbook is trying to initialize the drive and before the OS begins to load, it would not be a software problem. Software can, however, cause your freeze after the computer is running.

I will suggest a few procedures:

- Reset the PRAM, then test.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

- If no success, shut down > insert the DVD module > open the DVD tray and load a bootable 9.x or 10.x CD > power on and either press the 'c' key or 'option' key (this brings up the Startup Manager. If you can boot to a CD, then the freeze should not be a hardware problem. If you can boot to a CD, then I would try to correct your installed 10.3.9.

If Disk Utility finds no problems and flushing the caches is no help, then run Repair Disk Permissions and run the cron (maintenance) scripts with a third-party utility like Yasu or OnyX...now test.

If still an issue, I would think the next step would be an Archive & Install.

If, however, it appears to be a hardware problem (cannot boot to a CD), and both media bay drives cause the same problem, then you probably have a logic board issue. There is also the power supply card into which the battery and media bay drives connect; I don't know if this card can be at fault or the logic board.

Apr 15, 2006 2:18 PM in response to jpl

jpl, thanks for the help!

My computer freezes on startup after it has already "recognized" my dvd module (it makes a noise?) and soon after the gray apple screen appears before the circling under the apple indicates that OSX is loading.

I have reset the PRAM, run Repair Disk Permissions, and run Yasu with no luck.

Unfortunately, I have a slim DVD module without a tray, and there is currently a CD loaded (not an OSX CD). So I don't believe I can try to boot from the 10.3 cd that I have...unless there is someway to force the current CD out? I don't see any obvious eject buttons.

Thanks!

PowerBook G3 Pismo Mac OS X (10.3.9) 400 MHz

Apr 15, 2006 7:32 PM in response to LiSaVfree

Lisa,

If you do not have a hardware problem, holding down the USB mouse button or trackpad button during startup will eject a CD.

Do you have access to another Pismo or Lombard (previous model) so you could swap DVD modules and see what happens? If the Lombard is only 333MHz, it may have only a CD-ROM drive but if your 10.3 disk is a CD, it should work fine.

When you perform your testing, disconnect all peripherals other than the USB mouse.

Also, see if a Safe Boot will allow the 'book to boot with the DVD module:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107392

Apr 20, 2006 11:28 AM in response to jpl

Holding down the trackpad button did not eject the cd, so I'm afraid I might have a hardware problem. Safeboot will not work either, it just freezes.

Also, I just made the mistake of booting up in my old OS9, which completely freezes the computer whether or not the drive is in the bay. Is there any way to reboot in OSX before OS9 tries to load, causing it to freeze? If not, I think my pismo bit the dust. Sad.

Good thing I backed up my data before making that mistake.

Btw, swapping modules with another lombard, my dvd drive works fine.

Apr 20, 2006 8:13 PM in response to LiSaVfree

Lisa,

Try these keyboard commands at startup:

- hold down the 'X' key when starting up;

- hold down the 'option' key when starting; this brings up the Startup Manager > select the boot OS you want > click the forward arrow;

- if still having problems, reset the PRAM, then try the above again.

Since your DVD drive works in another powerbook, this does suggest some hardware failure on the Pismo.

In the event the Pismo has died, you can always remove the HD (fairly simple) and place it in a 2.5" FireWire HD enclosure. Not only can you recover any additional files/data, it can be used as backup storage. However, if your HD is relatively small or old, you will get a better bang-for-the-buck when buying a FireWire drive (HD included).

There are several troubleshooting steps you can try, but it does require a little disassembly of the Pismo; if interested, please post back.

Apr 25, 2006 11:04 PM in response to jpl

JPL,

Holding down the x key worked like a charm! My computer booted up normally in OSX without any problems (except the dvd drive of course). Why didn't I think of just holding the x key down? Smart.

I still want to wipe my drive and reinstall to see if that will solve the module issue. Any suggestions on how to reinstall when my dvd module and computer aren't getting along? Can I boot from the cd to reinstall before OSX starts up and freezes my computer?

Thanks again!

Apr 26, 2006 8:51 AM in response to LiSaVfree

Lisa,

As you stated earlier, your slot-loading DVD module works normally on another powerbook, the Lombard and the Lombard drive works in your Pismo.

If you have only a software issue and had a regular tray-loading drive, you could shut down the Pismo, insert the DVD module in the media bay, open the tray and load the CD or DVD, then power on while pressing the 'c' key or 'option' key (to bring up the Startup Manager). Or, if your Pismo works normally with the Lombard drive, you can just boot to your internal HD, mount the OSX disk, then restart to the CD or DVD. Can you borrow the optical drive from the Lombard? Hopefully the Lombard's drive is a DVD-ROM if all you have are DVDs for installation.

Theoretically if you do not have a hardware problem, your Pismo should cold start with the 10.3 CD in your slot-loading DVD drive. If somehow you could put your DVD module in the Lombard and mount the 10.3 disk, then remove the drive and put it in your Pismo and cold start as described, it should boot.

Question: Since you have a third-party DVD drive, do you know for a fact that it will boot a CD or DVD?

If no success via the optical drive route, you could connect your Pismo (the target) to another Mac (the host) via FireWire Target Disk Mode and wipe your Pismo's HD and install OSX from the host.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583

removable module causes freezeup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.