Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deauthorize old computers

I cannot authorize my new computer in iTunes because I hit the 5 device limit. However, I cannot deauthorize the old one because it's gone. I also cannot use the deauthorize all computers button because I did last year when I was replacing computers. Is there any other way of deauthorizing computers that no longer exist?

iTunes-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 3:17 PM

About De-authorizing Computers (contributed by user John Galt)

You can de-authorize individual computers, but only by using those computers. The only other option is to "de-authorize all" from your iTunes account.

1. Open iTunes on a computer

2. From the Store menu, select "View my Account..."

3. Sign in with your Apple ID and password.

4. Under "Computer Authorizations" select "De-authorize All".

5. Authorize each computer you still have, as you may require.

You may only do this once per year.

After you "de-authorize all" your authorized computers, re-authorize each one as required.

Also, see iTunes Store- About authorization and deauthorization.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2012 3:17 PM in response to dydx

About De-authorizing Computers (contributed by user John Galt)

You can de-authorize individual computers, but only by using those computers. The only other option is to "de-authorize all" from your iTunes account.

2. From the Store menu, select "View my Account..."

4. Under "Computer Authorizations" select "De-authorize All".

5. Authorize each computer you still have, as you may require.

You may only do this once per year.

After you "de-authorize all" your authorized computers, re-authorize each one as required.

Also, see iTunes Store- About authorization and deauthorization.

Apr 19, 2013 5:06 PM in response to dydx

I read a few posts & all of them were telling me that the only way was to "de-authorise all" however I've found where you can select the individual computers to remove...

2. Click on the iTunes store

4. Click on the button displaying your Apple ID (top level navigation bar next to home, music, tv etc).

5. Click on "Manage Devices >" under the 'iTunes in the Cloud' heading

6. All of your authorised computers will be listed here & you can remove each one individually

7. Click Done

Hope this helps 🙂

Jun 11, 2013 6:18 AM in response to S3Z

thanks for this tip!

however, when i tried it, it only listed one computer as authorized, as opposed to the five that i supposedly have.

also, under "cloud" there is no manage computer authorization listed for me. i'm guessing that's b/c none of the previous 4 were authorized waaaaaaay before cloud came along.

and lastly, under the summary section it still lists 5 computers even though i just deauthorized one???

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 17, 2014 11:23 PM in response to dydx

Why didn't you just say that you could not deauthorize your computers because you had already done it already within the Once per year limit clearly stated on iTunes? Then ask if there was a way to get around that restriction? From my perspective, Kappy was very helpful and went out of his way to give you all the tools that he thought you needed despite the lack of specifics in your post regarding the actual reason you really could not make those changes. you needed to resolve your problem yourself by calling Apple just as you did when you did not get an immediate reply here from someone.

I guess it's just not all bliss when you realize that the world does not revolve around you is it? However, you don't need to bite the hand the fed you. Your posts AFTER you solved the problem yourself are very rude and instead of demandiong that someone else apologize for volunteering a solution that did not have every detail you wanted (YOU would and should have seen the 1 year restriction when you tried to deauthorize your old computers before creating a thread anyway!!), you should have been thankful and added the one piece of info that was not included in his thorough reply, done.

The anonimity of the the internet seems to have made you say things that you would most likely never say to anyone personally, or would you be that ignorant to a stranger offering you help? Is that how you treated Apple when requesting to have this done for you on the phone? I didn't think so... or did you bite their head off after they fixed it?

Jan 29, 2014 9:10 PM in response to indydenny

If he de-authorized all, he would have 5 authorizations again. Did he really authorize 5 more computers again in less than a year?

The list of devices in the iTunes store is the list of devives associated to your Apple ID. My Mac shows up on the list, but none of my old PC's that were authorized are listed.

Feb 28, 2014 8:55 PM in response to S3Z

I stumbled across this potential option, as well. However, when I de-authorized my dead PC (resulting in only four devices being listed), and tried to authorize my new laptop, I keep getting the message that I already have five devices authorized and need to de-authorize one in order to continue. So, this solution didn't work at all for me. I am glad it worked for you, since it would seems kind of pointless to even have this option available if it didn't work for at least some people. Now I just have to figure out why it didn't work for me.

Oct 31, 2015 10:32 PM in response to S3Z

Had I known about this "feature" this morning I wouldn't have reset all of my devices with the once-a-year (!!) reset button. Thank you for allowing me to deauthorize iTunes on a visualized instance of El Capitan that became unable to boot. Without your help I would have lost an authorization for the rest of the year.

I may be remembering it wrong (I wasn't an Apple fan-boi at the time) but when iTunes/iPods first came out wasn't all Apple hardware automatically authorized to play media and not required to use one of your five authorizations? As a PC user I remember being jealous of the Apple guys because they didn't have to worry about the authentication headaches we using-iTunes-on-Windows guys did.

Deauthorize old computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.