Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cpu overload after upgrading to 2.2.2

Since upgrading to Mainstage 2.2.2 on my 3 systems I have found CPU usage almost twice as high. Mainstage is now unusable on my 13" 2.6ghz i7 MacBook pro with a very simple setup that was no problem at all with previous versions. My 2012 top of the line iMac 27" 3.4ghz i7 hits over 50% CPU on mainstage setups that previously barely registered on the CPU usage meter. I have been running latest Lion and tried upgrading a machine to Mountain Lion to see what happened but no improvement at all.

What's up with this? Any clues gratefully recieved!!

Thanks - Don

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 10:47 PM

15 replies

Oct 21, 2012 1:38 AM in response to donmr

I too am havinbg trouble with CPU spikes, though only with one specific AU which is truepianos. There is this article http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4157 which may help a bit.

You could also try starting a brand new concert from scratch rather than your existing ones to see if the problem remains. Also try the standard fixing of permissions, re installing Mainstage etc. Hope you get it sorted!

Nov 25, 2012 9:03 AM in response to donmr

I had the same problem when upgrading to Ms 2.2.2 from 2.1.3. Not only was I having CPU spike, I was having audio clipping when playing a soft sync (ie: omnisphere, east/west) making it impossible to play and to listen also.

I revert to MS 2.1.3. This is how I did this.

I went http://support.apple.com/downloads/ and download MS 2.1.3

I deleted MS 2.2.2 with app cleaner ( a free soft to completely delete applications on Mac. Just google it to find it, YouTube videos available to how to use it)

I reinstall Logic Pro 9 so I can get MS 2.0.0 which comes with the logic pro 9 DVD

Then I installed MS 2.1.3

Only problem is that I had to redo all my MS concert. But worth it because I have no more CPU spike and audio clipping. And it working a lot better then before.

Is apple doing anything about this? Mine was a free upgrade, I can't imagine paying for this and resulting in bad performance

Mitch

Nov 25, 2012 4:20 PM in response to donmr

I've experienced exactly the same thing i.e. v2.1.3 is unbelievably better on my system than v2.2.x. With v2.2.x, I get either constant CPU spikes or audio overloads/dropouts.

I'd love to find out what the difference is between our systems (i.e. those who find v2.1.3 much more reliable) and those who have no issues with, or find v2.2.x runs better than v2.1.3. I can't understand it. It's definitely not a "perception" thing....v2.1.3 genuinely runs much better on my system than v.2.2.x. No doubt about it.

Nov 25, 2012 4:29 PM in response to Madddcow

Yes me too!! I upgraded 2 current model iMacs and 3 recent macbook pros and they ALL suffered the same huge performance hit in Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion.

It just seems unbelievable to me! I suspect that those not experiencing these issues might be using very, VERY small patches/setups. There is obviously something SERIOUSLY wrong with this update.

Mar 5, 2013 8:12 PM in response to donmr

Ok this problem is getting VERY LONG IN THE TOOTH NOW!

Apple obviously does not give a **** about these kinds of issues. The older version of Mainstage worked pretty well with a few bugs here and there but the performance hit with this latest update makes it next to useless unless all you want to do is doodle around with a keyboard sound or 2 and avocal mic.

Poor show Apple! This version IS CLEARLY BROKEN!

P.S. We've purchased another 2 new macs (top of line MBP and iMac, 16BG ram in both) since I first chimed in on this and STILL these problems with 2.2.2 persist!

This version IS CLEARLY BROKEN!

Mar 6, 2013 1:10 PM in response to bandalong

Hi

bandalong wrote:

It only appears on certain configurations. The app works on my 13" Macbook, but not on my Mac Pro Tower.

I have a similar experience... 8 Core MacPro overloads regularly. CPU load seems to pulse every 20 seconds or so, with occasional massive peaks that go off the scale.

Activity monitor also reports a CPU load of 400% (not the 800 that one might expect).

http://www.apple.com/feedback/mainstage.html

Please tell Apple ;-)

CCT

Mar 7, 2013 6:27 AM in response to CCTM

...i only have cpu spikes when i hit a controller's pad (that correspondents to my looper plugin) for the very first time, meaning right after i open my concert...so now the first thing is before i begin to play i hit all pads on my various controllers...after this everything runs flawless...no spikes or whatever...

i had cpu problems when my hd was kinda full (80%)...after removing some files the problems were gone...

cpu overload after upgrading to 2.2.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.