Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari and the apostrophe

I notice this problem with not being able to type the apostrophe. At first I thought it was a systemwide problem, but I think I've narrowed the problem down to Safari. I can type contractions such as I'm, You're, etc. just fine except in Safari. And the problem seems to be more prevalent when I begin typing in a field that allows me to comment.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Does this have to do with how my keyboard shortcuts are set up?

Is this just another bug with Safari?

Thanks for whatever help anyone can provide. It's a mystery. It's also frustrating. As you've noticed, there are several apostrophes here. None of them caused problems because they were not in the first several characters of this post. So it is weird.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 11:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 1:29 PM

I replied to your other thread about this...I narrowed it down to Safari Edit>Substitutions

Uncheck all of them...haven't had time yet to determine if they all cause the problem or if just some of those options do...

4 replies

Dec 8, 2012 4:19 AM in response to Jean Shea

THANK YOU!!!

This has been haunting me for months (an apostrophe in a Safari comments box would generate the desired symbol and either a "return" to a new line or it would jump to the top of the web page.

I didn't want to turn off all substitutions (I liked it when it fixed my more common errors like "becuase", "adn", etc.), so I started with the more obvious choice and turned off "Smart Quotes" and that solved the problem. Woohoo!

Thank you for sending me in the right direction (Safari menu's Edit > Substitutions), although I am a bit saddened that Smart Quotes has this glaring bug making it unusable.

a'b'c'd'e'f'g'''''''''''' ...oh, that feels so nice!

Safari and the apostrophe

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.