Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 5 Camera App and Facetime App went missing. How can I get them back?

As I wrote, the camera icon on my brand new iphone 5 is gone. For this is a pre-installed app, wouldn't I usually not even be able to remove it from the screen? And I think there was a facetime app in the first place, when I got the phone on friday.

Restarting the phone didn't help and connecting it to iTunes only showed, that the camera app isn't anywhere else to be restored. Which I already guessed, because the search function on my phone didn't show it either.

On locked screen there is the camera symbol, but from day one (even when there actually was a camera app) it only jiggles, but does not start.

This is a private, not a corporate phone.

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 10:21 PM

14 replies

Oct 20, 2012 11:49 PM in response to Frannie77

Frannie77 wrote:

As I wrote, the camera icon on my brand new iphone 5 is gone. For this is a pre-installed app, wouldn't I usually not even be able to remove it from the screen? And I think there was a facetime app in the first place, when I got the phone on friday.

Restarting the phone didn't help and connecting it to iTunes only showed, that the camera app isn't anywhere else to be restored. Which I already guessed, because the search function on my phone didn't show it either.

On locked screen there is the camera symbol, but from day one (even when there actually was a camera app) it only jiggles, but does not start.

This is a private, not a corporate phone.

Settings/General/Restrictions - the camera has been disabled.

It's also possible that the camera has been moved to another page of the Home screen or a folder. Go to search (press HOME when on the first page of the Home screen, or swipe it left to right) and search for "Camera".

Oct 21, 2012 12:52 AM in response to Frannie77

I still think you should try the link I inserted. When I would connect my iPhone5 to my computer,

It would tell me it found no camera. I couldn't see the pictures I had recently taken. When I went to the app as instructed by the link, I clicked on Image Capture in the Applications folder, found my iPhone under "Devices" and now I have my new pictures.

Oct 21, 2012 1:58 AM in response to jazzeara

I decided to reset my iPhone. During the process I could see, that the camera app is on the first screen. But the file that restores everything that was on the iPhone still is without the camera app. which means. restoring it will again leave me without it.

It does look as if I have to rebuild my iPhone and all the sorting of the apps, deciding which music and fotos I want to have there etc. etc. (which took me hours) again.

Used the call back function on this page. Maybe Apple can solve this...

Thanks for all of your replies!

Frannie77

Oct 21, 2012 6:07 AM in response to Frannie77

I talked to Genius Bar on the phone. Unfortunately I have to restore my iPhone and loose my backup, since I overwrote the last one with the camera app. 😮

I still have my old iPhone to make a backup but possibly there was already something wrong with that. Which means it could happen again.

Hope this will help someone in the future...

May 3, 2014 7:58 AM in response to Frannie77

What I did was go to settings>general>restrictions and enable them temporarily and turned off camera it will say turn off face time to then turn them back on and they will be back then you can turn off restrictions and it will be somewhere on your screens I just did this a minute ago because I just had the same problem but this worked for me hope it works for you .

My iPhone 5 Camera App and Facetime App went missing. How can I get them back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.