Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Block Wi-Fi settings

Hi.

I'd like to block the possibiloity that my son changes his IP address in Settings > Wi-Fi

I didn't find any possibility in Settings > General > Restrictions to achieve this.

Also Google didn't help.

In other words ... he should keep Wi-Fi access, but at the selected IP address I configured.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

iPod touch, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 12:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 2:06 AM

There is no way to do that. Sorry.

11 replies

Oct 21, 2012 8:01 AM in response to geohei

Rather than attempting to do that within the device, in this case your son's device.....why don't you use the controls that are built into virtually every router to control this ?

This video link below won't show you how to do it specifically but, if you don't already know how, it will talk you through logging into a router. But a word of caution, if you dont really know anything about router settings proceed with care & caution because modifying a wrong setting risks shutting your Internet service access down and "could" also cause you to have to reset (potentially). Both can be frustrating / time consuming things to attempt.

One sugesstion is to log in and famaliarize yourself with settings & features. If you want more help post again. We can do facetime to to assist you in a walk through.

Look at the 2nd video http://allabouthomeelectronics.com/how-to.html

Per Apple policy we want to let you know if you visit we might benefit or even make a small profit.

Oct 21, 2012 11:28 PM in response to AllAboutHomeElectronics

Thanks, but I use a FRITZ!Box 7390.

If I didn't miss anything, there's only one "countermeasure" inside this router. It's to forbit new Wi-Fi devices to connect. However this feature I need to keep enabled. since there are too many new devices which need access on daily basis.

Disabling DHCP is not an option since one could try out IP addresses until one working is found, and on top of this by doing so, generate a great amount of IP conflicts inside the LAN.

Any other other ideas?

Thanks,

Oct 22, 2012 5:47 AM in response to geohei

Pulled up the owner's manual for the Fritz!Box 7390 purely to get famaliar with it's respective settings, capabilities etc.

The headline to your original post is, "Block WiFi settings" however its a little unclear what problem you are trying to solve by doing that on your Apple device or which Apple product (?)

All devices having some Internet or Home Computer Network connectability, be they from APPLE or some other manufacturer, come from the factory with a unque MAC address that most often can not be changed. There are way(s) to block MAC addresses from a network / Internet

We posted an image here at this website page link to How to Setup Wifi. The image as at the very bottom of the page.

Nov 12, 2012 4:19 PM in response to geohei

Your son is changing the IP address settings in his iPod (as you sugessted in the original post)

His iPod has a distinct MAC address that no other device in the world has (at least in theory)

I would log into the setup of your Router and assign a fixed IP address to that MAC address.

This way when he changes his IP address (or attempts to) the Router should detect the duplicate MAC address and disallow his change. Its a conflict that the router can't process.

The way he gets around that is to default the router to factory settings (easier if you have cable Internet as opposed to DSL - PPOe Internet.

Outside of these tips....not sure what else to recommend.

Block Wi-Fi settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.