Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Option to collapse windows by double-click to title bar only, NOT minimize into dock?

A double-click to a window's title bar did, in former incanations of the Mac system, result in a collapse of the window to title bar only. Currently, it seems that this option is gone? All I find results in "minimize to the dock".

Is there a hidden option?

Or is there third-party software that adds back this feature?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 4:22 AM

6 replies

Oct 21, 2012 7:18 AM in response to bwadma

I really start hating the "iOSification" of the System!!

Lay off the hyperbole. It isn't serving you well.

How is that iOSification? That option hasn't been natively available since Apple switched to the unix-based OS X, which was release about six years prior to iOS.

While they might have been contemplating the development of an iPhone and the OS to run it at that time, I'm sure you can't possibly believe Apple chose to drop WindowShade in the switch to Mac OS X because they thought they wanted it to work like an OS that had yet to be developed.

Oct 25, 2012 12:12 AM in response to Barney-15E

I was a bit "perplex" about the sensitivity that the term "iOSification" has caused, so I needed a little time to think about that.

From my point of view, the removal of the "collapse a window to the title bar only" function is a feature that fits very well to the wide screen format that we have today. It IS something that was and is (would be) useful on a 27'' screen, and I think it is reasonable to blame the "iOSification" (that is, the attempt to unify the user interface on very small and "real" screens) for the removal of this feature.

I am using Macs since the IIfx (with System 6). It might be that the term "iOSification" fits better to other "back the the Mac" changes to MacOS, but it describes a general attitude that I do start hating.

Option to collapse windows by double-click to title bar only, NOT minimize into dock?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.