Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

serious Overheating (?) killed my macbook...

I have a late 2008 macbook 13" that I had a problem or two with in the past. Aside from cracking the lcd, I started noticing the macbook getting extremely hot and would occasionally shutdown without notice/warning. The battery in it was run-down and the computer wouldn't run without being plugged in (I realize this may not be the 'healthiest' for my mac)...

So, I'm taking full blame for whatever problems I allowed to build up... but long story short, I woke up one morning to find that the macbook wouldn't power on at all. There are smoke/burn marks coming from the fan exhaust... and more worriesome: they casing around the keyboard is discolored as if it was exposed to extremely high temperatures (mostly in the center - around f;g;h;v;b keys.). When trying to start up the mac now, there is no more that a click/groan type noise accompanied by the led light on the magsafe cord dimming... there are no other signs of anything running; no fans, spinning sounds, etc.

What is the most probable cause and is there anyway I can diagnose the issue before taking it to get looked at?

Luckily, I received a iMac 27" before this happened... whether the problem is the logicboard, powersupply, motherboard; is there any way I can boot up the hdd of my macbook to access it on my iMac? I've read i can remove the harddrive and place inside an xhd case... but i was hoping I could skip this step and just connect computer-to-computer...

and questions u can answer would be of a great help. Thanks!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 5:23 AM

1 reply

Oct 21, 2012 6:48 AM in response to yodis

Forget it - the MB is fried (literally).

Remove the HD and use the said enclosure to attempt to rescue your data. Of course, if the HD was one of the overheated components you may be unable to retrieve anything even then.

Good job you have that backup, eh…??

Frankly, from what you've described I wouldn't even bother taking it in. It's highly likely they'll charge you for the diagnostics and still tell you it's scrap.

serious Overheating (?) killed my macbook...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.