Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bad HDD?

My 2007 intel dou core iMac is running VERY slow. I have run the DU from start up and it shows that the S.M.A.R.T. working and the drive is verified. I also ran the repair disk, found 1 prob and fixed it and ran repair permission. I ran the AHT from start up and it shows a "4mot" (I may not have that correct) but it relates to a HDD fan so I downloaded a SMC fan control and bumped up the speed of my HDD and processor fans. I went back to start up and reloaded OSX Mountain Lion from Internet. I also replaced my 2gb ram with Apple 4gb. I am doing this post on my iPad because trying to type on the iMac takes forever. The pin wheel of death is everywhere.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 3 gb ram, 750gb hd

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 5:55 AM

7 replies

Oct 21, 2012 6:55 AM in response to BGreg

BGreg; The SMC fan control does not show that there is any problems with the fan. I downloaded the Smart Utility and it show, where the DU did not, that the "Overall SMART Status: FAILING". it has 54 pending Bad Sectors and removed 1 Bad Sector. Thanks for your help. Any sugestions on HDD? I have replaced it once with a WDC WD7501AALS-OOEAO. At least this time I have a Time Machine back up and will not have to try to recover info from a bad HDD.

Oct 21, 2012 7:05 AM in response to trouble me

That WD Caviar Black hard drive should have a 5 year warranty on it, if you want to have WD replace it. Otherwise, I'd look at the reviews on Newegg.com to see what other users like. I wouldn't get a drive with less than a 3 year warranty on it, and some still have 5 year warranties (There's been an industry wide shortening of warranties in recent years).

Bad HDD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.