Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort card won't recognize network printer on WEP network with Zyxel router

I have a new Zyxel router that I'm networking to a G4 Mirror Doors with an AirPort card. After much trial and tribulation, the Zyxel support guy and I figured out that in order to connect to the network, we had to lower the security to WEP because there is a conflict between AirPort and AES encryption, and under WPA-PSK, my only choices were AES or TKIP + AES. So now I'm connected to the network just fine using WEP, but my downstairs G4 still won't recognize the upstairs G4 (connected to the router by ethernet) nor the hp printer connected to it. I'm running 10.4.11 on both G4s. I have tried everything I can think of, lowering firewalls, changing settings hither and yon, and nothing seems to work even after restarting. Any ideas?

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 8:16 AM

WEP passwords are a nightmare because different manufacturers use different methods to generate the code.

For example, a password of "password" on a Mac may not equal the same "password" on the Zyxel router.

Try using a 5 character password if you are using WEP 40 Bit, also known as WEP 64.

Try a 13 character password if you are using WEP 128 Bit.

See this Apple support document for details on why this might help your chances:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1344

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2012 8:16 AM in response to Bohlenn

WEP passwords are a nightmare because different manufacturers use different methods to generate the code.

For example, a password of "password" on a Mac may not equal the same "password" on the Zyxel router.

Try using a 5 character password if you are using WEP 40 Bit, also known as WEP 64.

Try a 13 character password if you are using WEP 128 Bit.

See this Apple support document for details on why this might help your chances:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1344

Oct 21, 2012 8:51 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks, Bob. I changed the password to 13 characters, and successfully rejoined the network. However, The downstairs G4 still can't see the upstairs G4, nor find its printers under Printer Setup utility. Now, the upstairs ethernet G4 can see the downstairs G4 AirPort, but not the other way around. And without the downstairs being able to see the upstairs computer, I still can't print.

AirPort card won't recognize network printer on WEP network with Zyxel router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.