Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPS Devices Connecting to Mac 10.8 Via USB 3.0?

Hello,

Does anyone know if there an issue with GPS devices communicating with Mac 10.8x and/or Apple's USB 3.0 that is on their newest models? Yup, I did send Garmin a support request and got a canned answer that is useless.

Garmin does indeed have a service bulletin on an incompatibility with their FlyGarmin.com site, but there is no mention of their other basic Mac software. Google Earth initially sees the Garmin, tries to crunch the data, then states that "no device was found". The same is true with a couple of other programs that used to work well with my Garmin. My 2012 MacBook Pro (with backward compatible USB 3.0) does not even register that a Garmin GPSMap 495 device is connected (via Apple's System Information), yet a legacy Mac Pro with Mac 10.6x does.

More microchips than sense,

Dr. Z.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), Just one soldier in my Army of Macs

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 12:23 PM

1 reply

Oct 30, 2012 8:47 AM in response to Dr. Z.

Update:

I have an HD Camera model (ContourHD) that is also unable to connect, yet a newer model (Contour+2) from the same manufacturer connects just fine and with the same cable. Connecting the problem camera to my legacy Mac Pro finds it functioning as designed. Once again, I am wondering if there is a hardware issue with the first generation of Macs using the USB 3.0 technology. Maybe there is a USB 3.0 driver update and/or firmware update for the individual devices that needs to be designed? Macs have always been so good with seemless connection...

More Microchips than sense,

Dr. Z.

GPS Devices Connecting to Mac 10.8 Via USB 3.0?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.