Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screw the Macbook

Recently i opened my Macbook to replace the ram and after i screwed the thing back together, the bottom case has been making annoying noises like small ticking and such. This was definitely not happening before, so i was just wondering if anyone knew the perfect way to put the screws back in and such? Like which ones should i put in first, where to start and how they should be tightened.

Any tips? 🙂

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 2:25 PM

4 replies

Oct 21, 2012 2:50 PM in response to Wisheezy

Well the best way was to put each screw into a plastic compartment in a pattern, or like I did recently, each screw was placed on the mat right near the hole it goes into, or kept in a pattern so I didn't mix them up.

As you'll find out, Mac's screws are of different threads and lenghts, need to go right back into their respective holes.

You can see here

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/

And possibly here for the configuration.

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Read my thread here too

Install/upgrade RAM or storage drive in Mac's

Oct 21, 2012 4:35 PM in response to ds store

Thanks for the reply but i think you misunderstood me.. What i was asking is, the perfect way to screw back the bottom case so it feels stabile and rock hard. Mine is not rock hard anymore and makes ticking and weird noises when i aply preassure on the bottom or picks it up. So i was just wondering if there's a certain way to put the scews back in or anything

Oct 21, 2012 4:59 PM in response to Wisheezy

When replacing the screws, insert and start the screws, but do not tighten them down. Now begin to tighten all the screws slightly. Use an alternating pattern or an X-pattern to tighten each screw a little bit, then go around again and tighten each screw a little bit more.

What this does is distributes any forces over all the screws, and minimizes distortion of the bottom plate which can be caused by tightening one screw fully while other screws are still loose.

Oct 21, 2012 5:45 PM in response to Wisheezy

Wisheezy wrote:

Thanks for the reply but i think you misunderstood me.. What i was asking is, the perfect way to screw back the bottom case so it feels stabile and rock hard. Mine is not rock hard anymore and makes ticking and weird noises when i aply preassure on the bottom or picks it up. So i was just wondering if there's a certain way to put the scews back in or anything

Take all the screws out, review the videos and manuals of what screw goes in what hole and try to get it the reassembly right.

It's apparant you placed the wrong screw in the wrong hole someplace, or didn't put it together right.

And do what Grant says too, that does work as well. Same thing when you change a car tire, you tighten all the lug nuts a bit at a time so the rim is flush tight.

Screw the Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.