Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The document is on a volume that does not support permanent version storage

Hi All

I am using Mountain Lion version and i am receiving The document is on a volume that does not support permanent version storage when trying to save a text file on to my QNAP ( Netwrok Storage).

I have done littel research and aparently this is to do with MAC OS, how ever i was wondering if anyone know any ways around this ? or will this be fixed ?

Thanks in adavance.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 2:33 PM

9 replies

Oct 22, 2012 8:22 PM in response to Marc Wilson

Mate

That is not what i am saying, if you read my post you will see that this USE to work and it stoped working since mac os 10.8

This does seem to be Apple problem if you read this article

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4218

the issue i am having is this .

if i create a text file in windows with notepad and save it on a nas drive.

inside a text file i will have

this is a test

i go to my mac open the text file with textedit and add following text in new line

this is test 2

now i go back to windows box open same text file you will see that following

this is a testthis is test 2

basicly what it does it puts it on same line as the first line.

and this all use to be fine before 10.8.2

I am sorry if i came across rude i just need some help.

Oct 22, 2012 9:16 PM in response to tsdlxp

No, the this is a testthis is test 2

Problem is because of the difference beween Windows linefeeds and UNIX linefeeds. This is an age old problem and has nothing to do with permanent version storage. If you intend on editing the same text file from Windows and OS X you need to use the editors on the respective platforms that understand carriage return versus line feed. It's an age old problem - just google for UNIX windows line feeds and see. You may need to use something other than Notepad or TextEdit on one of the platforms; I'm sure BBEdit on the Mac would do well.

Oct 22, 2012 9:19 PM in response to tsdlxp

tsdlxp wrote:

This is ridicules on apples behalf they exact us to buy the product and cant even get a answear on the problem they have introduced....

FYI, these forums are user to user only; there is no paid Apple staff, just volunteers. If you want Apple tech support, you need to contact them directly.

Oct 22, 2012 9:26 PM in response to William Lloyd

William Lloyd wrote:

No, the this is a testthis is test 2

Problem is because of the difference beween Windows linefeeds and UNIX linefeeds. This is an age old problem and has nothing to do with permanent version storage. If you intend on editing the same text file from Windows and OS X you need to use the editors on the respective platforms that understand carriage return versus line feed. It's an age old problem - just google for UNIX windows line feeds and see. You may need to use something other than Notepad or TextEdit on one of the platforms; I'm sure BBEdit on the Mac would do well.

AHA, i might take a look..

weird that i did not notice that before i could of swarn it worked before 10.8.

You probably are right becouse i just did the test with Mac Office and it seems like it works fine, but does not work with textedit and notepad.

cheers for your help.

Oct 22, 2012 9:26 PM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

tsdlxp wrote:

This is ridicules on apples behalf they exact us to buy the product and cant even get a answear on the problem they have introduced....

FYI, these forums are user to user only; there is no paid Apple staff, just volunteers. If you want Apple tech support, you need to contact them directly.

Sorry guys, i did originally though that apple staff would be floating around here.

The document is on a volume that does not support permanent version storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.