Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook runs perfectly, other than no display from the screen internal / external

It is the late 2008 model, that looks similar to the macbook pro but is not the unibody design. The laptop was originally my friends but he gave it to me after it recieved some water damage.

Originally the green light on the charger plug would only glow dim, and would not do anything when the power was pressed. I opened it and cleaned it using rubbing alcohol and q-tips. After putting it back together it began beeping, which I discovered to be a ram placement issue. All it took was a simple push on the ram stick and it locked in place. Now when I turn it on the fans kick in, the white light in front glows, cd drive whirls, and the screen gives off a quick little flash. I figured maybe the screen was ruined due to the water damage ( a cup of water was spilt on the keyboard) so I went out and bought a mini display to vga adapter.

When hooked up the external display does not detect any input but I was hoping that was due to it not having an OS. I installed a hard drive but it is still empty. Is there any method I can do to see if the GPU is ruined or if it is simply just the screen. There is a dent on the top right corner of the screen which looks as it had been dropped at one point.

The only other issue is that the battery button indicator on the side does not work but the LED's light up during charge and the battery holds its charge fine.

Edit: The apple does not light up on the back, nor can the screen be seen when shining a flashlight on it.

MacBook

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 3:45 PM

There are no replies.

Macbook runs perfectly, other than no display from the screen internal / external

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.