Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HUGE amount of yellow "Other" space being taken up on iPhone 4S. Please help!

I looked around the forum for a solution of the huge amount of yellow "other" space that is being eaten up on my iPhone 4S. Even after a restore, the yellow "other" space is taking up 7.1 GB of space on my phone, up from 6.5 which is what it was before the restore. What is going on? Usually I just erase some texts (I send a lot of pics to my hubby and mom,) erase some voicemails and it drops down to around 1 GB. But I've noticed since iOS 6, that hasn't worked. 7.1 GB is ridiculous. Is there ANY way at all to get rid of it without having to erase absolutely everything about my phone and start over from scratch, including downloading 40 apps all over again?

This seems to be a problem a lot of people have been having over the past few years, why has it never been addressed? There needs to be some sort of utility or something that cleans things up if they have problems with junk not getting deleted or corrupted files sticking around.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 4:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 4:32 PM

If restore from backup did not help, then you will need to restore as new.

17 replies

Oct 21, 2012 6:21 PM in response to SparklyFluff

Just in case anyone is reading this that is having the same issue, I also tried deleting my Yahoo! e-mail account from my phone to see if there was a backlog of messages or something. That didn't help. I deleted all the texts I've sent that had pics or videos. No change. I had already deleted my photos with iPhoto. I have checked and unchecked the "Open iTunes when phone is connected" box, synced and re-synced my music, books, and apps. I have basically done anything and everything that people have suggested, except a factory restore without backup, which I am trying to avoid!

Jan 10, 2013 10:03 PM in response to SparklyFluff

New update.... I once again find myself with this problem. I'm up to 8 GB of "other" and dreading doing a restore since it's such a pain in the ***!! I love Apple products but I really think they need to evaluate this issue because even just a quick google search brings up countless people with the same problem, but no solution except a factory restore, which in my opinion is not a very good, and also not permanent, fix.

Jan 10, 2013 10:06 PM in response to SparklyFluff

I did a quick Google search and found countless people who have ghosts occupying their house.

You are for some reason getting a number of corrupted files (or one file) that are being synced to your device. The problem is probably on the computer side of the equation and you'll have to solve that. On all of the iDevices I've had I've only run into this problem once and it was a corrupted song that I had ripped.

Jan 10, 2013 10:41 PM in response to deggie

Ok, so I appreciate the suggestion that it may be a corrupted file. But have you noticed that I am not the only person having this problem? Actually look. It is a valid problem, and I'm not the only one having it. So asking for Apple to fix it really isn't wrong.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=567122

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/27483/why-does-my-iphone-use-so-much-ot her-space-after-upgrade-to-ios-5

http://www.ipodrepublic.com/iphone/fixing-issue-other-files-iphone-memory/2010/0 3/31/

Obviously the problem is not new. And it isn't huge, but it is inconvenient and annoying. How are files getting corrupt so frequently that they are taking up 8 GB of space? There has to be a cause. And the fact that before iOS 6 happened, all I had to do was delete text messages and that would immediately fix it. Why has that changed?

Also, it's a crime to say the word Google? Sorry it offends you, that's what I used to search.

Jul 10, 2013 12:08 PM in response to SparklyFluff

Hi. IDK if you are still checking this, but I also have been dealing w this for MONTHS!! Same thing, I look online & see so many people w same problem & have tried ALL the suggestions but it never works. I currently have 7 GB of other on my phone. I have spent soooo much time on this - I was wondering if you figured it out? I found this link:

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/yellow_other_content_taking_up_space_iphone_ipad.ht ml

It didnt help me out too much bc I dont have very many apps on my phone, but figured I would share. I completely agree w you: I dont understand why Apple wont just tell us what it is so we can fix it?!?

Mar 30, 2014 10:28 PM in response to SparklyFluff

It's the PHOTOS. See if the "other" matches or nearly-matches what you have for "photos". If you sync and delete your photos with iPhoto, watch the "other" disappear. If it doesn't, try syncing your photos and then deleting the photos off the iPhone. That should do the trick.

Why Apple uses a duplicate of the photos? One might guess that it's due to their non-destructive way of editing photos (and quickly reverting to the original). Apple think we're idiots who don't care or know how to manage our storage, so they don't bother with the details. Such is the way with things these days -- and Apple ain't far from the truth. Most people are clueless or really don't bother. It's a consumer thing.

"It just works" is Apple's slogan. Perhaps they're right -- perhaps there are some algorithyms and what not that are in place to compress all that data and release that space for when the device truly begins to fill up. Maybe, maybe not. Without any documentation we can only guess. Must be a trade secret. Who knows.

"It just works".

Oct 22, 2014 8:44 AM in response to SparklyFluff

So I was having this problem as well. As it turns out PHOTOS keeps all your deleted photos! (I'm using iOS 8.1 on a 5) SO, try going to PHOTOS, through the app, not through the camera, and there is a section called "Recently Deleted". It will give you the option of deleting all the already deleted photos. My PHOTOS and OTHER usage went down HUGELY. Hope it helps.

HUGE amount of yellow "Other" space being taken up on iPhone 4S. Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.