Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer Won't Recognize Hard Drive

I wanted to do a clean install of OS 10.5. Wiped hard drive using Tech Tool Pro 4. Now computer won't recognize hard drive during install. When it asks to what volume I want to install the OS, the screen is blank. This is a new one on me.

Anyone have any ideas? Thank you.

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), G5 Tower, 2 gig, 1Ter hard drive

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 5:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 5:28 PM

Boot to the Installer/Utilities DVD, but DO NOT Install.

Answer only the "what language" question if presented, and wait a quarter minute for the MenuBar to be drawn. Choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu or the Installer menu.

Use Disk Utility to Erase the drive again. Be sure you are getting Options GUID partition map.

Then use Disk Utility to partition the drive to one partition, Mac OS X Extended (Journaled).

Select the drive and choose Mount. It should not produce an error. Now you are good to go on the Install.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2012 5:28 PM in response to JRIH

Boot to the Installer/Utilities DVD, but DO NOT Install.

Answer only the "what language" question if presented, and wait a quarter minute for the MenuBar to be drawn. Choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu or the Installer menu.

Use Disk Utility to Erase the drive again. Be sure you are getting Options GUID partition map.

Then use Disk Utility to partition the drive to one partition, Mac OS X Extended (Journaled).

Select the drive and choose Mount. It should not produce an error. Now you are good to go on the Install.

Computer Won't Recognize Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.