Skip navigation

Computer Won't Recognize Hard Drive

305 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2012 7:22 PM by JRIH RSS
JRIH Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 21, 2012 5:09 PM

I wanted to do a clean install of OS 10.5.  Wiped hard drive using Tech Tool Pro 4.  Now computer won't recognize hard drive during install.  When it asks to what volume I want to install the OS, the screen is blank.  This is a new one on me.

Anyone have any ideas?  Thank you.

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), G5 Tower, 2 gig, 1Ter hard drive
  • Grant Bennet-Alder Level 8 Level 8 (48,110 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 21, 2012 5:28 PM (in response to JRIH)

Boot to the Installer/Utilities DVD, but DO NOT Install.

Answer only the "what language" question if presented, and wait a quarter minute for the MenuBar to be drawn. Choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu or the Installer menu.

Use Disk Utility to Erase the drive again. Be sure you are getting Options GUID partition map.

Then use Disk Utility to partition the drive to one partition, Mac OS X Extended (Journaled).

Select the drive and choose Mount. It should not produce an error. Now you are good to go on the Install.

Mac Pro (Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8), & Server, PPC, & AppleTalk Printers

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.