9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2012 9:20 PM by Arudi
Arudi Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

My MacBook Pro battery icon percentage never changes. It stays at (99%).

Eventually the computer shuts down, but still says (99%).

It won't come on until I plug it in. When it does come back on it says (99%) but has to take a full charge.

It won't fill to 100%, just 99%.

I can' tell when it needs to be recharged.

Thank you for any help.

Arudi

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • Arudi Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I also checked the battery level with 'option and battery icon and the condition is normal. Arudi

• dominic23 Level 7 Level 7 (31,165 points)

Reset SMC.     http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Choose the appropriate method.

If this does not help, contact Apple.

Best.

• Ralph Landry1 Level 8 Level 8 (37,935 points)

Go to the apple in the upper left corner of the menu bar, About This Mac, More Info, System Report, Hardware, Power and what does the report give for the battery Capcity, Charge remaining, Condition, Cycle Count, and Voltage?

What year and model MacBook Pro do you have?

Charge Information:

Charge remaining (mAh):          4305

Fully charged:          No

Charging:          Yes

Full charge capacity (mAh):          4349

Health Information:

Cycle count:          566

Condition:          Normal

Battery Installed:          Yes

Amperage (mA):          343

Voltage (mV):          12598

AC Charger Information:

Connected:          Yes

ID:          0x0000

Wattage (W):          0

Revision:          0x0000

Family:          0x0000

Serial Number:          0x00000000

Charging:          Yes

I am using 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. I don't know where to look for date of purchase. I will look further when I get home from work.

Thank you for answering.

That battery looks like a healthy battery, 4305/4349 = 99% charge, which the computer reports as not fully charged and charging.  Voltage is good, should be close to the range of 11.5 to 12.5 volts, note it is reported in mV so move the decimel three places to the left.

Cycle count is not bad, Lithium-Ion batteries used by Apple will have a cycle count life in the range of 350 to 1,000 depending on the year of the machine; cycle count life is just the point where the charge capacity drops to 80% of the factory-built capacity.  So you look fine on that, also.

Amoerage (current draw) is positive when on the charger, negative when on the battery, and since you are plugged in and not running hard looks good.

Overall that looks pretty good, and since it reports you are charging, the charger must be functioning ok.

So, the only question then is why does the computer reporting circuit as displayed on the menu bar never change from 99%?  If there is a problem with that part of the circuit the testing is beyond the equipment most users will have available.  If you can, drop by an Apple store genius bar and have the techs run some diagnostics to see why it is not reporting the charge correctly.  If that option sounds good to you, call ahead and make an appointment, they get really busy and with an appointment you don't have to wait in line for someone to get free.

When I sent you the info, the battery was not plugged in (not charging), even though it says it is, that's the problem, I guess. It never gets to 100%. It was not 99% went I sent info, because I has been using it for a long while, yet it said that. How crazy!

Thank you for all that info, now I know what to do. I will head to the Apple store. Love going there and do make the appt. first.

Since it wasn't clear that it was NOT actually plugged in, the Apple store is the best option...something in the charging circuitry is not reporting correctly.

Post back the results, we are all fellow users on here and interested in how problems like this get resolved.

Will do. Have an appt. Thursday 25th.

Then.

Yesterday I updated my software and the computer restarted. After that the battery worked fine. I waited until today and it is still working fine, so  cancelled the Apple Store appt. Don't know what that has to do with battery, but I guess it was just stuck. Whatever.