Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

7th gen iPod nano nike distance very inaccurate

Three runs until today.

For a track distance of 6.4 km the nano gives a result of 10.2 km (I the calibrated the nano with 6.4 km)

For a track distance of 3.1 km the nano gives a result of 1.58 km (I can not calibrate as it only offes a max. distance of 2.5 km to calibrate to)

For a track distance of 2.4 km the nano gives a result of 1.8 km (I can not calibrate as it only offes a max. distance of approx. 1.9 km to calibrate to)

Will this improve??

P.S. It has the latest OS installed. 1.0.1

iPod nano, 7th Gen

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 11:33 PM

13 replies

Oct 23, 2012 6:07 PM in response to titusm

I found my nano 7th gen shockingly accurate after a few calibrations. The manual suggests several calibrations using distances >.25 miles. It learns. The manual also recommends wearing it at your waist. Although, not often convenient, it makes it most accurate. I used my Garmin to measure distance. After 5 separate back to back calibrations, I was only about 4% off at most. That's only .04 per mile. That is pretty accurate for accelerometers. This is not a GPS unit obviously. It was even more accurate on a treadmill. It was right with no difference as compared to my True brand TM distance readout.

Oct 23, 2012 11:28 PM in response to PeterfromVA

Today I made 5 consecutive 1-km-runs

results: 0.55, 0.75, 0.85, 0.85, 1.06 km ⚠

This looks like it learns. I think I repeat more short track calibration and might try to wear it at my waist and see how it goes. Kind of tired to keep telling the nano how long my run was.

(I don't use a sensor and a different pair of earbuds)

Jan 7, 2013 2:40 AM in response to titusm

Without any kind of calibration whatsoever, my NIKE+ iPod Nano 7g is surprisingly accurate, given the fact that it only counts vertical acceleration impulses interpreted as steps.

On a 10.2km run (measured with MotionX GPS several times), it showed 9.97km. In other words, it underestimated by distance by 2.3%, which I think is OK considering the technology used. I didn't try it on a treadmill yet, but the "real-world" run was mostly on hard surface and in a flat area, using conventional running shoes.

In a hilly region with some trail sections across the woods, sometimes muddy, including jumps over fallen-down trees, it feels less accurate, but unfortunately I don't have GPS data on this specific path, so I cannot verify.

Next, I'll try on a treadmill. So far, however, I'm quite satisfied with the iPod 7G as a workout companion.

After all, I think counting steps might sometimes give even more conclusive results than measuring the actual distance, since it is hard to capture differences in soil and environment accurately, that would influence your energy consumption. On heavy slopes or in difficult terrain you typically make shorter steps, and the distance may be overestimated a bit, but will still give you an indication about the energy needed.

Jan 19, 2013 9:22 AM in response to titusm

OK, now here is what I can say from my own experience so far:

On a treadmill, it usually hits bang-on (get it short by about 1%). Of course, you may be tempted to adjust your step length when you hear the voice coaching is off a bit and your treadmill shows a different distance, but I also tried "blind" runs (not listening to the iPod Nano's voice messages) several times.

Today, I was running on snowy and icy trails, and that was the first time Nike+ really OVER-estimated my distance. It showed 12.8km when it actually was 10.7km. This could be accounted to the fact that my step length decreased for fear of sliding on the slippery surface.

7th gen iPod nano nike distance very inaccurate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.