Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone5 paint chipping

I bought my iphone5 last week from The Carphone Warehouse and noticed the paint had chipped on the box fresh phone. I showed the sales clerk who brought another one out that was also scratched, and then opened a third factory sealed box which was, yet again, chipped. As it was the last one in stock I had to take it. This morning my phone slipped out of my hand and after a 20 cm fall, landed on my desk and a big chunk of paint chipped off of the outer steel rim. My phone looks like it's been through the wars after owning it for less than a week! I took it to the Covent Garden Apple Store to show them and expecting another exchange, only to be told that they will not help as the paint chipping is not an official known issue. This is the worst customer service i've had with Apple, who have previously been superb whenever i've dealt with them. It's obviously a flaw and everyone will soon be having this problem, standards are definitely slipping. Not at all happy!

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 7:58 AM

3 replies

Oct 22, 2012 10:30 AM in response to andybaggarley

Andy,

I have had a similarly frustrating situation. Bought my shiny new and durable (so I thought) iPhone 5 from Orange three weeks ago. Didn't even take it out without buying a screen protector and case. Within 10 days I was alarmed to see the paint chipping off.

I went back to Orange, they sent me to Apple - who said I should go back to them. Apples or oranges I said, I just want a resolution (Apple worker didn't see the funny side) said the only thing to do was make an appointment with the genius bar. Clearly a complaint to be made with the advertising standards authority, because a '"genius" has just told me that Apple would not replace it, for the same reasons you were told. Nice, when I asked to finish work early and made an 18 mile round trip journey to Apple in the Trafford Centre. Clearly fobbed off by the first Apple worker who knew her co-worker would have said the same thing. I am very, very disappointed with Apple, despite really good customer service with other Apple products in the past.

I don't buy the anodising process to attach the paint excuse either. I used to mountain bike when I was a lot younger and some were sold with black rims using a similar process. They lasted a lot longer and that was with constants brake pad friction.

Does anyone at Apple customer care even read these? And if so, do you guys care about the bad taste you're leaving in your customers mouths as a result of this issue?

iPhone5 paint chipping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.