Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Diagnostics mode - HDSMartData message "can't open device"

I'm having problem with my 4-year-old 80Gb iPod classic. At first, it started with some problems while I was syncing through iTunes like it suddenly freezed, the music files were not working or were playing then suddenly stopped and unable to play that file again after that. While charging recently, I also realized that the machine got very hot and this had never happened before. Just checked my iPod with the diagnostics mode, on the HDSmartData session and here it comes: "Can't open device" and on the bottom "error: diag halt". Is my iPod dead? Please show me if there's any other way to fix it? Have already tried formatted and restored it several times but still not working.

iPod classic

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 12:45 PM

That's a pretty clear indication that the iPod's hard drive is shot and in need of replacement. You'll need to send the iPod in for service/repair or replacement either through Apple or a third party service.

B-rock

1 reply

Diagnostics mode - HDSMartData message "can't open device"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.